Chapter 21- The Showdown [Shadow POV]

[SHADOW]

"Arrgh Shadow, what are you doing?!" Sonic yelped in surprise as I grabbed his neck and squeezed it slightly, the rain still thundering down around us.

"You wanna know how I feel?" I growled at him, tightening my grip.

"Uh- yes!" he choked, gasping for air. I could see he wasn't afraid. We are closely matched in strength. I still wanted to intimidate him though. I can't help it – it's my nature to be domineering.

But I wasn't expecting him to fight back. His next move took me by surprise.

Pushing his chin into his chest, he suddenly grabbed my wrists and yanked them downwards, planting his knee into my stomach with full force.

"Aarghhh!" I cried as my grip on him was broken and I grasped my stomach in pain.

But he didn't stop there. He got me by my shoulders, putting his right foot behind my ankles and pushed me down on my back. I smacked down on the sodden ground, splashing mud everywhere. He proceeded to jump on top of me, pinning me down by my arms, his face just above mine.

"You're still no match for me Shadow!" he said in triumph, a stupid grin on his lips.

"Get off me hedgehog," I growled at him. I was furious that I'd let him catch me off guard like that.

"So tell me Shadow, how'd ya feel about me?"

Rage surged throughout my body.

"Never!!" With that I thrusted my hips upwards and knocked him forwards. He let go of my wrists and put his hands on the ground to stop himself falling flat on his face. With my arms free I grabbed hold of his chest and swung his body round into the mud, soaking him and covering him in muck. I pressed my elbow into his shoulder and with my other arm pushed myself upwards so I now was on top of him.

"Hey!!"

"You had your chance. You think you can mess me around and get away with it?" I growled and put my face close to his, flashing my pointy fangs at him.

All of a sudden, as I looked into his eyes a flash of amnesia ripped through me like the wind blowing away all of my memories. For a second I couldn't remember who I was, who the hedgehog I was sitting on top of was, why we were here or what we were doing.

"Huh?"

Then, in an instant my memory returned like nothing had happened, apart from it felt like I had been slapped around the head.

What was that all about?

"Shadow?" Sonic's wide eyes looked up at me. It was almost hard to be angry with him when confronted with that stupid face of his.

For a moment we lingered in suspense. I could feel my frustration melting away as my heart started taking over from my head. He continued to look at me, waiting for my response. I could feel my lips being pulled to his by some invisible force.

NO! I can't trust him...

Instead of letting myself get carried away, I pulled back, raised my arm and punched him around the face with all of my might. His face scrunched up in pain.

"I despise you." I said coldly and stood up, shaking myself off. I crossed my arms and looked down at him in the dirt. He looked broken. I had hurt him physically and emotionally. He didn't even bother to get up or fight back. He just lay there rubbing his cheek. It felt good to pay him back some of the discomfort he had caused me.

"If that's true," he said finally, looking up at me, "then finish it right here, right now."

"Huh?" I was taken aback by his ultimatum.