Chapter 32 - Truth Serum - Part Seven - New Challenges [Everyone POV]

[KNUCKLES]

"Alright! Final round!" I cheered as the timer went off, hoping to drum a bit of enthusiasm into everyone. I could feel the magic dust starting to wear off on myself so the others were probably feeling the same.

Everyone gathered back at our meeting point. It was almost dark and the temperature had dropped significantly. Luckily the fire was still burning strong, giving off enough heat to keep us warm.

I looked around the circle of friends. They all looked tired but a lot less tense than when they first arrived. I really hoped that this exercise had helped bring us closer together.

I decided to keep things moving.

"Ok well there should only be one person that you haven't paired up with yet. So get into those pairs and let's have our final conversations!"

Tails was the only one left for me to chat with to so I went straight over to him.

"Alrighty buddy, me and you!" I slapped his back in what was meant to be a friendly pat but accidentally sent him flying forward.

"Whoa watch it Knuckles!" he said irritably, picking himself up.

"Oops, sorry pal, heh!" I put my hand on his shoulder. "C'mon let's go chat."

Tails frowned at me but I could see a slight smile on his lips so I knew he wasn't mad. We walked over to my small garden patch and took a seat. Tails sat cross-legged and rested his head on his hand.

"You know Knuckles, I never thought we could come so far in a day, but I have to admit, I feel heaps better than when I arrived. Actually, I was dreading this."

"Oh really, why's that?" I asked.

"Just cause things have been, well, tense between me and Sonic lately. I was witness to Amy trashing Rouge's place. I've missed our team and how we used to be unbreakable. Life has been really fucking hard Knuckles!"

I nodded and felt bad for the poor guy. He was always the happy-go-lucky one of the group. The one who would relentlessly do anything for his friends and expect nothing in return. It was clear that life had nearly broken him.

"But don't worry," he sat up suddenly snapping back into his old cheerful self, "I feel so much better after this exercise. Having these honest conversations has really helped clear the air and shift some bad feelings."

I smiled in compassion at the fox. "That's good to hear Tails."

Without warning, he suddenly leaned forward and put his arms around me, squeezing so tight I was almost couldn't breathe.

"Thank you so much Knuckles!" he started sobbing.

I put one arm around him and rubbed his back, and with the other I placed my hand on his head and held him tenderly as he broke down and let go of all the pain that he had been holding on to.

[CREAM]

I was happy that my last chat was with Amy. She's my closest friend and we know everything about each other. I always take a lot of comfort in confiding in her.

"Let's go Ames!" I said enthusiastically. She grinned and stood up.

We found ourselves a quiet spot away from everyone amongst a patch of pastel-coloured flowers, although it was almost too dark to see now.

"So how's your day been Amy?" I asked, interested to hear what she had experienced.

"Phew it's been a whirlwind, that's for sure!" she giggled. "I finally came clean to Rouge about her apartment."