Chapter 23 - The Awkward Meeting [Shadow POV]

[SHADOW]

Sonic and I had spent the last few hours flirting and teasing each other. I felt relaxed around him. He made me feel comfortable in myself. I hadn't felt this high on life well... ever.

"I'm really happy you decided to come see me," I said.

"I had to man. I couldn't get you off my mind."

"Well, I'm keen to see where this goes." I couldn't believe the change in myself. In this moment I didn't feel the depression that was always hanging over me. There was no negative voice trying to convince me that the world was against me. I felt at peace.

Sonic smiled at me and pulled me in for another hug. It felt good to be close to someone again.

"Hey, we'd better head over to Knuckles' place soon. He said to come in the afternoon," he said suddenly with a slight frown.

"Oh, I'd forgotten about that." I replied, slightly disappointed. I didn't want this time with Sonic to end.

Sonic looked at me, clearly thinking the same thing. "It sounded important, I guess we have to."

"Alright," I said. "Well we can resume this when we're done at his."

Sonic looked around the empty house deep in thought.

"Hey Shadow, you can't stay here by yourself, it's depressing. Why don't you come back and stay with me again. And we can fix up your house again together if you want. I'll help ya!"

I thought for a moment. A gesture of kindness. Oh how different it felt for someone to be kind to me again. I definitely liked the idea of staying with Sonic. His home was... comfortable.

"Sure. That would be great."

Sonic's eyes lit up. "Really? Oh Shadow it'll be so much fun!" he exclaimed.

"I'll make sure of that," I purred at him, pulling him into another kiss.

"Alright, let's head," Sonic said grabbing my arm and walking me to the door. "It's gonna be hard to keep my hands off you, you know!"

My heart fluttered. How is this even happening? I shouldn't question it. It just feels too good to be true...

We left together in the direction of Knuckles' place.

"Wait, there's a path here now?" I said, looking around as we entered the forest, noticing the branches and vines that had been meticulously sliced away to create a passageway through the thickets.

"Yeah, how'd ya think we reached you all the way out here when we came to save you?"

My eyes widened as I took in the realisation of the enormous effort Sonic, Knuckles and Rouge must have gone to just to reach me in time.

I shook my head and looked at the floor, feeling ashamed that I put my friends through that. Sonic must have read my mind because he put his hand on my shoulder and said softly, "It's ok Shadow, we're just glad you're ok. I'd do it a million times over just so I could see that smile again."

My heart warmed. If I had succeeded in killing myself I never would have got to experience what I have now. I was so blinded by depression I couldn't see a way out. But it was right there at my lowest point that I found the thing that changed my life. It was as if I had to go through hell to find happiness.

We took up a running pace and reached Knuckles' pad within minutes.

"Hey hey fellas!" Knuckles was standing just outside his cave and greeted us with a grin and a high five. "What are you two so happy about?"