Chapter Twelve

Mizuki puts down the last letter on the bed and he tries to gather his thoughts

Mizuki puts down the last letter on the bed and he tries to gather his thoughts. Eren had found a dozen letters in a box under the bed and he and Eren had to sit down to read all of them. They were sitting crisscrossed with the box next to them.

All Mizuki could say or think at that moment was that this was so beyond messed up.

Mizuki recalled when he was younger he was told that 47 years ago things were calming down between Yarisha and Rivania. He remembered hearing that it lasted for three years and that people were even hoping for a peace treaty to take place.

But then Aziel Acosta murdered his grandmother and his grandfather, Akio challenged Aziel to a duel where they ended up killing each other.

But now Mizuki was starting to doubt that last bit.

The one thing he realized from these letters was that this war was fucking stupid.

"Eren we can do something with these letters, no?" Mizuki said as he looked up at Eren who was staring at the letter in his hand in a daze.

"What?"

"The Members who saw the fight between Aziel and Acosta never actually revealed what had happened, right? Everyone thinks they killed each other but what if it was a lie? What if they were covering up the truth?

And don't you think this whole war is pointless? So many people lost their lives and for what? Because of the fucking pride of the country?" Mizuki said all in one breath.

"You're right." Eren nodded. "This whole war is extremely stupid and pointless and I don't see why it's still going on either but what are we supposed to do? We're ordered to come here and kill each other and we do so. That's how it's always been."

"You can try to convince the Royal members to come attend a meeting at Rivania! And I can too-"

"No." Eren refused and Mizuki furrowed his brows.

"But why not? Think about it! If we show the letters and try to make them understand how fucking pointless everything is they might leave it alone. And I can convince-"

"It won't work, Mizuki." Eren said firmly and Mizuki felt a wave of anger hit him.

"How can you be so sure?" Mizuki said, his voice raising with irritation.

"Because I know my father and he won't fucking agree!" Eren yelled back.

"W-what?" Mizuki asked after a moment of silence, both of them staring at each with wide eyes.

"God fucking dammit Mizuki." Eren groaned as he buried his face in his knees. "I hate you, I hate you so much."

Mizuki crawled to Eren and he grabbed his face to make him face him. "No you don't."

"Why-why are you so pushy." Eren sounded like he was going to cry again and Mizuki felt himself crumble.

"I'm sorry." No he wasn't. "But I just don't understand you, Eren. One moment you're fine and the next you're like a ticking bomb."