Splinters

The guys at the naming board are torn between splinters, splintlers, and splinterers. I'm picking splinters because I'm lazy and I hate autocorrect. 

Anyway, these freaks are born from the Splinter fungus, or the people from the labs call it the Festucam fungus. they actually call it some longwinded name, I just don't remember and I can't be bothered to look it up.

It's hard to find in the wild but every now and then someone stumbles across some spores and breathed them in. 

The progression of the fungus is actually pretty scary. First, you start sneezing badly, then you get a nosebleed that doesn't go away for about 10 to 15 minutes. at this point, the fungus has taken partial control of the host, but if you take some average antifungal pills you should be fine.

It starts getting bad after the headaches start, as time goes on the headaches turn into migraines and those migraines turn into cluster headaches.

By the time you get to migraines, you are too far gone, the spores at this point have already created an extensive mycelium network in your skull. Now the fungus sends signals telling the host to go dark and damp places.

When the host is in a proper environment for the spores the cluster headaches start, they get so bad that the host begins to slam their skull into a hard surface. this is the fungus trying to expose the brain so the fungus can start to create mushrooms coming out of the eyes, nose, mouth, and exposed skull.

After the mushrooms are fully grown they start wandering towards any living things they can find. A portion of them are blind or deaf so those ones just wander aimlessly.

The best way to kill the hosts is to unload your gun onto them or light them up with a flamethrower.

By the way, make sure you have the proper gear for them. A hazmat suit will be issued to you for these, so wear them. you don't want to bring this shit home to your family if you even have one.

The clean-up operations for splinters are pretty simple, just disinfection of the surrounding area and the home of the infected. plus the burning of the infected corpse.

I don't really have a tongue-in-cheek joke for this entry, all I have to say is the paperwork for these calls are worse than the others for some reason, and yes you will have to file reports for the shit you do here. Even in the paranormal and supernatural fields, you can't escape paperwork. -Void