The Sea

I sleep like a rock, only awakening to the harsh sunlight shining in my eyes.

 I roll over and see that Armis is still asleep. I get dressed silently, pulling on my new black kefta that one of the materialki made for me after my other one was left in tatters.

I make the trip to the upper deck, the ship swaying gently below my feet.

I stand near the railing of the ship, breathing in the salty air that smells like home, not a home I've ever known, but one that welcomes me kindly.

I feel someone approaching and I glance over, it's Armis. 

"Good morning."

"Good morning," she greets groggily.  

A second later Sturmhond appears," Good morning Miss Tarsov, and...," he turns to Armis, grabbing her hand and kissing her knuckles," Good morning to you, princess," he adds with a wink. 

Armis' face turns bright red and she mutters back a small 'good morning' and turns around to look at the ocean so the captain won't notice her redness.

The captain nods to me," I believe the Darkling needs to speak with you."

"Okay, thanks for letting me know."

As Sturmhond walks away I turn towards Armis," I'll be right back,  you alright by yourself?"

"Yeah, of course, just come find me when you're done."

I nod and begin my search for Aleksander's room.

Eventually as I'm walking down a long corridor, I notice a door that has clearly been newly painted black, the smell of paint still hangs in the air.

 I knock twice and hear a muffled," Come in."

  I open the door and see a large mahogany desk, with a large map covering the top of it.

Aleksander stands behind the desk, now looking at me.

"So, what did you need to speak to me about?"

"Do you know the tracker?"

"You could say that, yes I know him."

"Do you believe he'll be able to track down the sea whip?"

"Mal can track anything that moves, so yes."

"Okay, so the only problem is making sure that he complies."

"Come on emo-boy you're supposed to be the wise one, just threaten Alina."

Aleksander looks lost in thought, finally he turns back to me," Brilliant."  

I smile," I love it when you compliment my brain."

 He rolls his eyes playfully," You can go now."

"Already gone," I state as I quickly slip out of the room.

I walk towards mine and Armis' shared room, figuring she'd probably gone there after I left her.

As I approach the door I hear Armis' voice as she speaks with someone. I contemplate eavesdropping, but I respect her privacy so I go to the upper deck to watch the sun set.

I feel the shadows growing as the sun dips below the sea.

 I feel someone stand beside me and I turn to see Aleksander.

"I always wanted to live near the sea."

"Why is that?"

"I find the ocean calming."

He contemplates that for a moment then replies," Maybe one day you will."

"Yeah, maybe."

A comfortable silence stretches out, both of us staring into the sea. 

After a few minutes I break the silence," Well I should probably get to bed."

I turn to walk to my room when he grabs my wrist.

I look at him in confusion.

"If you ever get tired of sharing a room with the princess, my door is always open."

"I'll remember that, thanks Aleksander," I say, whispering the last part.

****************************

I know I'm late again, but I'm struggling with a case of writers block so... its fine

:)