The Art of Caring

I pull the kefta off of my clammy skin, barely enjoying the feeling the cool air leaves.

I cower to a corner of the room and curl into myself, pulling my shadows around me, like a fog, like a forest, like a shield.

I sit there for so long that I convince myself I can hear the screeches of the volcra, both far away and right next to me.

I let the nonexistent sounds lull me to sleep.

Just as my mind begins to slip from consciousness, someone knocks harshly on the bedroom door, and I startle awake.

I open the door, expecting Aleksander, but when my eyes land on Armis, I exhale a breath of relief.

She pulls me into her arms, and I feel my self-control slipping as sobs begin to rack my body.

She eventually calms me down and I regret the vulnerability I've shown. But not to her, she's the only exception, I could never bare to hide my true feelings from her. Even if I tried, she can read me like a worn book.

I can't bring myself to face the crew, so for the entirety of the next day I stay in the room.

I can hear the muffled sounds of the crew getting on with their everyday life along with the occasional ruckus I assume is caused by either Alina or Mal's presence, maybe a bit of both.

When the ship finally quiets I leave the room and make the trip to the upper deck. It occurs to me that we must've traveled quite a ways while I was indisposed. The air has caught a chill that I wasn't expecting and chunks of ice cover the oceans glassy surface. The moon reflects off of the water, creating a mirror on the ocean's surface.

I admire the view until I can't feel my toes anymore then I decide to pay a visit to my dear sister.

I walk slowly and carefully to the cell where Alina should be held.

I look in to see her fast asleep and curled into who I assume to be Mal.

When I finally move to leave, a presence appears behind me, so close that I can feel his breath on my neck.

"What are you doing here?"

"You say that as if you didn't bring me here."

I can feel his eye-roll even with my back to him.

"You know what I mean, I thought you were still hiding away."

"Well I'm not," I reply sarcastically with an eye-roll of my own.

He steps closer and I feel his chest against my back.

"I'm glad you're feeling better," he whispers against my ear.

'Me too' I think but don't say afraid my voice will ruin the atmosphere he's created, so instead I simply nod. The motion cause his lips to brush the skin near my ear, eliciting a slight shiver from me.

Without a sound he spins me around and pulls me into his arms.

"I was worried about you," he says into my shoulder.

The comment shocks me, The Aleksander was worried? I didn't think it was even possible for him to care about anyone but himself.

"Please don't ever run from me again."

I'm not sure how to respond, we are only working together because I want to kill my sister and he, well he wants to control her and possibly take over the world? His goal is unclear, but I came here for one reason and soon it will be fulfilled.

"I-," I start ," okay."

Alina stirs in my peripheral and I carefully detach myself from Aleksander's embrace.

"So, has Mal been cooperating?"

"He's cooperated well enough, we should be able to capture the Sea Whip tomorrow."

I nod," That's good."

I turn to walk back to the upper deck and Aleksander follows me.

By the time we get there, the sun has risen and is bathing the ship in warm light. The one downside to shadows, they cant keep you warm. Aleksander's body heat is more than enough though it seems.

I can feel his warmth through my kefta, and he's not even standing all that close to me.

"I'm gonna head to the room, wake me up if anything happens," I say then start to walk away.

"I'm coming with you," he says as he follows me for the second time today.

When we arrive in the room I begin to take off my kefta, when shouts and the sound of running start above us.

Aleksander gives me a stern look and hurries out of the room

*********************************************

Im sorrrryyyy for taking so long to update. School has kept me busy and I've had this chapter in my drafts for a while but I'm glad to finally post it for you all to read. (: