How to Get Stabbed Gracefully

(warning: blood, stabbing)

It all happens too quickly to understand, the Sea Whip is captured and brought aboard, and before Aleksander can kill the majestic and undeniably beautiful creature, Nikolai and his crew restrain him. I'm next, though I had no intention to kill the creature.

In fact, I felt quite sorrowful for it. It was almost as if it was connected to me, like the Volcra, except I could actually hear it pleading for mercy.

It wasn't actually talking of course, but somehow speaking into my mind?

It was all quite new to me and before I could truly understand, Mal and Alina had killed it. I watched as they removed a precious scale from the still body. 

I watched as chaos ensued, Aleksander broke away from his captors and began to fight Nikolai. I couldn't do anything but watch.

I watched as Alina and the rest of the crew fled to a smaller boat that had pulled next to the much larger ship. Looks like I'm going to have to learn to sail a ship. Great.

I thought Nikolai would at least wait until we were back in Ravka to execute his grand plan, but that would've been a stupid move and Nikolai is smart, that's what I like about him. I only hope he doesn't see through Armis's deceptions, though I don't think she'll have a hard time 'pretending' to like him.

When the fight seems nearly over, with only Aleksander and Nikolai still fighting, I convince myself to stand up.

 I immediately regret that decision as Aleksander throws a blade and Nikolai weaves out of its path, leaving it to land wetly in my shoulder, digging into bone.

Aleksander's face almost makes the pain worth it, his mouth is gaping open and his eyes are wide. Nikolai uses his distraction to run and jump off the ship and onto the much smaller boat, not before turning to give us a small salute though.

I bring my hand up to my shoulder and wrap it around the handle of the blade pulling it harshly out of my shoulder. Aleksander puts a hand out to stop me but its too late, I feel the blood draining from me, then I feel it stop and my skin slowly weaves itself back together. 

Aleksander stops a few feet away from me, looking even more puzzled.

"How? How did you do that?"

"I would have accepted an 'I'm so sorry' or an 'are you okay' but I guess that works too."

"I- I am sorry it's just- how did you even- I thought I was about to watch you die," he stammers.

"It's okay, and personally I prefer not to reveal my healing abilities to someone who just tried to kill me," I say with as much kindness as I can manage.  

He nods in understanding, and then it's as if he finally remembers the events that just occurred and he whips his head around to see the retreating boat. He clearly realizes its too late to try to catch them but runs swiftly to the ship's wheel and attempts to follow the smaller boat. 

----

There are only a few people left on the ship so it's eerily quiet as we make our way through the ice covered water, the ship cutting silently through the thin layer of ice.

 I stand next to Aleksander, steering the ship as he stands beside me, helping me to stay warm against the chilling wind.

"Thanks for doing this, you're much better at it than I am," Aleksander admits with a sigh.

"Well I would rather take over than die."

"That's a bit dramatic don't you think?"

"Maybe," I concede.

He seems to enjoy my answer as a grin takes over his face, before it settles back into his usual stoic stare. He continues to stand by my side as I steer the ship and we slip into a comfortable silence.

***********************************************************

Chapter 20 in case anyone was counting. Hope everyone enjoyed, again sorry for the stretched out time between updates.

(: