Chapter 8

Opulence (n)
Great wealth or luxuriousness.

Dimitri's POV

     When I hear Evelyn close the front door, I head to my room to get dressed.

It's probably best she isn't here, I don't know what I was thinking earlier, nobody from the work building would be here as I said they would be.

I just have a pull to her. I can't have her; I shouldn't even be looking at her.

Throwing on a suit and tie I look in the mirror.

I can't help but think Evelyn would make me look better.

Being the Don means I'd have to get married soon, have children to pass my title down to.

No woman has ever caught my eye, except one. One that I can't have.

Sitting down on the couch in the living room I wait for my guests to arrive.

After waiting for half an hour, a group of people come in. My people.

"Piacere di vederti Dimitri. Da tempo non?." My dad's old right-hand man comes up and shakes my hand.
[Nice to see you Dimitri. Long time, no?]

"È stato. Grazie per essere venuti, abbiamo un lavoro importante da sbrigare." I respond.
[It has been. Thank you for coming, we have important work to look over.]

The men sit with me on the couch while their wives go gossip in the dining room.

We talk about how the Russians are trying to take over some of our territory. If it were outside America, I'd think about giving it to them. But they want to take over New York. Quite bold to even try.

After a few hours of talking about the Russians we all sit down for a meal.

"Don, fuori c'è una ragazza." One of the girls complain.
[Don, a girl is outside.]

"Falla entrare. Vive con me." I smile.
[Let her in. She lives with me.]

She gives me a confused look but does as she's told.

Evelyn's POV

     I walk up to the door after shopping and my feet are aching. Raeni and Kim can really shop.

"Ciao entra." A lady dressed in opulence clothing says waving outside the door.
[Hi, come in]

Who the hell is that?

Why are their women here?

Jealousy runs through my veins. I can't believe...oh he said he was having a 'gathering'.

I smile and walk inside.

"Sei la cameriera? Sei in ritardo." She asks.
[Are you the maid? You're late.]

Did she just call me retarded?

"What?" I try not to be offended.

"Non italiano, devi essere la cameriera." She chuckles.
[Not Italian, you must be the maid.]

I roll my eyes and ignore the bitch who called me retarded.

I walk into the dining room and see an array of people.

Slowly I back away trying to be unseen.

"Dove sta andando la tua cameriera?" The lady from before makes the room go quiet.
[Where's your maid going?]