Chapter 21

Dimitri's POV

Hireling

(Noun) Hire-ling

A person who works only for money.

I heard the little patters of Evelyn's feet come up the steps while I was on the call, I had to hurry up and end it before she could even try eavesdropping, I think maybe she heard a little but luckily, she doesn't know Italian.

The Russians are getting bold. Too comfortable in my territory. Someone involved in the Russian mob spray painted their crest a buildings wall, a sign they typically do when they are surveying the area and plan to take it over. It can't go unpunished.

Apparently, my mother wants us there for dinner tonight. After last time we went there, I was hesitant, but she is my mother after all.

I take long strides towards Evelyn's room door and knock, trying to be polite. I hear her shuffle around until she swings the door open, wafting her floral perfume into my nose. I want nothing more than to push her inside and throw her on the bed, but I keep control. I have work to do.

"I will be out for a few hours. Be ready by the time I get back. Yes?"

She nods with a small smile. Her outfit fits perfectly around her perky breasts and small waist.

Without saying another word, I turn from her doorway and feel her eyes watch me as I walk down the stairs.

Once I get into the car, I drive to the place my right hand, Antonio, sent me the address to. He wanted to meet me where the Russian spray painted the wall. If I can make out the exact crest, I will know who he is working for.

After arriving, I step out of the car and meet Antonio at the gratified wall. It's clear a hireling did this, the lines aren't straight, and the paint has leaked down the wall.

"I can't make it out." Antonio says, examining the wall.

I reach my arm out and touch the paint. It's dry so it's been here for some time. The person who did this may be long gone by now, but if there is anything I know about the Russians, is that they hide in plain sight. I wouldn't be surprised if he were still in the city.

"I want everywhere searched. Everywhere within a hundred-mile radius needs to be checked out." I clench my teeth together in anger.

Antonio nods. "I'm on it Don. Anything else?"

"I will inform everyone. Call a meeting, tell them I want everyone there in an hour. If they are late, they will have consequences."

Antonio nods, understanding the seriousness in my voice.

As I'm driving to our secret location, Evelyn remains on my mind. I wonder how she would do in a situation like this, how she would handle it. Perhaps she would try to kill him with a sack of potatoes. Maybe she would try to convince me that he doesn't need to be killed at all.

She's a spitfire, a beautiful spitfire who will get in my face when nobody else will. Nobody stands up to me like she does. But I do see her wall crack momentarily sometimes, her eyes hold deep pain, and I can tell she's one of those people who push people away to make sure she can't be hurt.

I don't know if she really has a boyfriend or if she just said that to get under my skin. Either way, I don't like the thought.

I pull into the parking lot and park my car. When I walk into the building, it's still void of people which is good because it gives me time to set up.