Chapter 40

Dimitri's POV

Memories from last night filter through my head as I work. Damn paperwork is so tedious.

Evelyn's quiet moans replay in my mind. I straighten my legs and adjust myself before the phone rings.

I clear my throat and answer the call.

"Ciao?"

{Hello?}

"Don, we have a problem." Antonio sighs.

"What's the problem?" I straighten up in my seat and prepare myself to listen closely.

"Popov sent us a uh, a gift." He pauses in the middle of his sentence.

A gift?

"Alright, I'm coming." I sit up out of my chair.

"Don. Don't bring Evelyn." Antonio says seriously.

"Why wouldn't I bring her? She's one of us now." She needs to harden up a little anyways. I don't judge her for how she acted after all the shit at Popov's warehouse, it was her first experience. I remember when I was young, my father had me kill a small orange kitten, the smell of the blood and the texture of its brains gave me nightmares for years. But I have to admit, it did make me stronger and less...emotional.

"Trust me Don, you won't want her here. It's...It's bad. I'm afraid she won't be able to handle it."

I sigh, I guess he would know. "Alright, I'll be there in thirty."

I hang up and tidy up the papers I was trying to work on before Antonio called. I didn't get much done, hell, how could I?

I chuckle to myself as I walk out of my office.

"Are you going somewhere?" Evelyn looks up from her desk with the smallest hint of a blush across her cheeks. So cute.

"I have to go for a few hours, I'll be back piccola." I send her a wink and watch her squirm before I leave. She's been extra shy since our encounter; I find it utterly adorable.

Once arriving to the warehouse, Antonio is waiting for me by the door with folded arms.

"What's the problem Antonio?" I ask walking up to him.

"I'm sorry, Don." He whispers and reaches into his waistband, pulling out a pistol.

My heart drops into my stomach. "Cosa fai? Sei un idiota?"

{What are you doing? Are you an idiot?}

"I may be. Popov has my kid Dimitri. I have to do this, I'm sorry."

Hot metal burns through my thigh, I feel as it rips through each layer of my skin and hits somewhere deep inside me. Blood trickles its way down my legs, soaking my suit pants quickly with bright red blood. My knees give out on me, causing me to fall to the ground.

I quickly take off my suit jacket and try my best to put as must pressure on my leg as I can, it hurts like a bitch, but I can't bleed out.

"I didn't have another choice." Antonio tosses his gun away from him. I assume it's empty now. One bullet for little ol me.

"If I live, I will kill you," I grit out through the searing pain going through my leg, "if I die, then you are forgiven." I finish as I squeeze my leg tighter.

Antonio nods and steps away from me, giving me one last look over before turning and walking away to drive off in his car.

Judging by the color of the blood, he's hit an artery. The bright red blood on my hands drip onto the ground. Thinking quick, I pull out my phone and call the mob's doctor. I don't know if he's right through those doors or not, but hopefully luck is on my side.