Chapter 57

Evelyn's POV

The scene in my head plays over and over again. Dimitri says that I finished the whole clip but after the first shot...I blanked.

All I can remember is that I first shot.

I killed him. I killed Mark.

His poor mom is going to be devastated and it's all my fault! She lost a son because of me!

"Dimitri, I think you should take me to jail." I say as tears continue to wet my face. I probably look lovely right now.

"You deserve a gold metal, not prison. Piccola, you aren't going to get in any trouble because of this. There is no risk of you going to jail or anything."

I understand, but I don't deserve freedom. I am I killer and I need to be locked away.

His hand reaches for mine and I let him take it.

"I killed somebody's son." I think out loud.

"I know you aren't going to like what I'm about to say, but it's the truth and I won't lie to you," his thumbs rub my knuckles, "Mark was a man who sold those poor women you wanted to save, he's killed many people, he's a cheater, and he has threatened you before. He didn't deserve life."

I think through what Dimitri just said. He sold those women? Did he ever hurt them? Probably, I wouldn't put it past him.

"You're going to be messed up a for a little bit, piccola. You're probably going to have nightmares and panic attacks. But I'm not leaving your side, I'm here." He gives me a small smile then turns his eyes back to the road.

"On the phone call you made, you said something about a safe-house. Will we be going there?" I ask, hoping we can just get away from all of this for a while.

He hums in agreement. "We're going to the hideout now to find a good place. Want to help pick somewhere?"

A small smile appears on my lips at his offer. "Yes please."

Once we get to the hideout, we go inside and my eyes meet May's.

"Oh my! What happened? Are you okay?" She engulfs me into a hug.

"We got ambushed, lei ha il suo primo corpo." Dimitri switches to Italian.

{she has her first body.}

May's eyes soften. What did he tell her?

"Can I make you two some tea before you do anything else? She looks a little faint." She rubs her thumb across my tear stained cheek.

"That sounds nice." I smile at her kindness and let her lead Dimitri and I into the kitchen.

May makes small talk with Dimitri and I, which honestly helps distract me from everything. She's so sweet, she'd be an amazing mother.

Once the tea is done, I take a sip of the hot beverage, only sightly burning the tip of my tongue.

"Wow, this is good. What is it?" I ask her.

"Chamomile and lavender." She smiles.

I don't think I've ever tried this, it's delicious!

"Do you want to eat something too?" Dimitri asks.

I shake my head. I have absolutely no appetite right now.

"Eat later for me though, yes?" He whispers. I nod and give him a small smile.

This...feels like home. Him. I feel safe and cared for. Other than my mom, I've never felt like someone truly cared about me.