Chapter 54

Evelyn's POV

Dimitri's emotions have been sporadic. One moment he seems like the normal Dimitir and the next he seems like he's angry. Not angry with me or at anything in specific though, which confuses me. How can you be angry without having something specific to be angry with in that moment?

I guess I kind of understand. It'd be hypocritical of me to judge him or anything since I'm still hurt about what Mark did. I don't want to kill Mark though. I still stand by what I said before I ever even got involved in the mafia world. Under no circumstance, is it okay to kill someone.

"Where's your mind at piccola?" Dimitri has walked out of his office and has been standing in front of my desk for I don't know how long.

I've been so stuck in my own mind that I forgot I was at work. "I'm sorry. I was just thinking about random things." I send him a warm smile.

His hazel eyes scan my face, probably detecting my hesitant eyes, wandering over my desk.

"Let's go out for lunch, yes?" He takes the yellow folder out of my hand and sets it on the corner of my desk. "Maybe some food will encourage you to tell me whats going on in that beautiful mind of yours."

His words earn him a small giggle from me. "You have a deal."

No matter if I tell him or not, he's Dimitri, he will find out sooner or later that I'm just worried about him.

All those pent up emotions, bottled up feelings aren't good for the soul. It hurts holding things inside. I held things in for years, all the anger against my father, the pain of watching my mom die slowly and painfully, it all fucked me up so bad that I didn't even recognize that I was fucked up.

Dimitri helped me more than I thought I needed. He taught me how to give my dad another chance. I still don't have the perfect relationship with him but it's a lot better than before.

Dimitri leads us to his car, which he opens the door for me, as always. We begin to drive down the road to soft comforting music. I don't recognize any of the instruments, except a violin. It's weird but pretty.

It takes around fifteen minutes until we pull up to a nice looking restaurant.

"Why something so nice for lunch?" I ask half serious. I'm happy we're here, I smell Japanese food and that's what I've been craving for a few days now.

"You deserve only the nicest of things Eve. I wouldn't be caught dead bringing you to a place like McDonalds, unless that's really what you wanted." His smile reaches his eyes, making my heart flutter with appreciation.

With no objection, I follow him into the restaurant and see the men cooking over steaming stoves. It's a place where they cook in front of you! I haven't been to a hibachi grill since before my mom was diagnosed with cancer.

The unique smell of the Japanese rice and meats blend beautifully into my nose and my mouth salivates the more we walk in.

"Oh, Mr. Ricci. I didn't know we were expecting you today. Please give me a moment to set up your table." The hostess says in almost a panic before scurrying away, leaving Dimitri and I.

"Poor girl was so scared of you!" I whisper-yell. "Does everyone just piss their pants when they see you?"

He chuckles at my question before leaning into my ear. "Not everyone." He whispers and follows with a kiss on my ear, causing chills to run down my spine.

The girl returns with small beads of sweat on her forehead. "Everything is prepared for you two sir." Her voice comes out small.

I feel bad for her. Of course, I was intimidated when I first met Dimitri, but not like this. I give her a smile to show her that everything is okay and she slightly calms as she gives me a smile back.