Chapter 20

Evelyn's POV

Saunter

(Verb)

To walk slowly, leisurely or in a relaxed pace.

Work was more boring than usual today. Dimitri seemed on edge and more cranky than usual, he hasn't had any smartass remarks or anything. I wanted to ask him a thousand times what was wrong, but my brain always stopped me.

Raeni said that she was busy this weekend, so sadly we won't be able to hangout.

Saturday mornings are for cereal and TV. And that's exactly what I'm doing.

I poured myself a bowl of chocolate cereal with cold milk and put a murder documentary on the TV. Some people do some crazy things, but I don't see how anyone thinks that they can get away with murder. The person who does it always seems suspect and guilty, so they make it easy.

"How about I take you out for lunch? You eat too much cereal." Dimitri's voice makes me jump in my seat.

"Can we get pasta?" I ask, still craving the delicious noodles.

"Of course." He smiles from ear to ear as he sits next to me.

"These people are stupid." I say pointing to the documentary on the TV.

"The untrained are very stupid bambina."

{baby}

"How could someone kill their best friend? The person who helped them through everything." I ask more to myself than him.

"Betrayal doesn't come from your enemy." He replies.

I look at him with a mouth full of cereal then back at the TV.

He's more talkative today than he was yesterday, maybe he's feeling a little better.

His words digest into my brain. He's right, betrayal can't come from someone that you already don't trust.

"Were you okay? Yesterday, I mean." I finally ask with an empty bowl.

His chest expands and deflates, his hand balls up at his face until he looks at me and his features soften slightly.

"You don't want to be involved." He states.

Guilt pangs my heart. Dimitri isn't easy to live with but, he's really nice when he wants to be. I just want to help.

"Can I help without being...involved?"

His head shakes from side to side. I hate not knowing what's wrong. I'm too nosey for my own good. But I can't get mixed up with all that. I'll end up dead on one of these documentaries if I were to be involved. I'm strong, but I can't just hate someone without a reason.

"Why does everything have to be so secretive? Why can't you just tell me?" I press.

His jaw ticks as he turns to look at me. "I don't want to be your peril."

What the hell does that mean?

"What are you trying to say?" My voice raises as my anger grows.

His lays his hand on my leg. "Omerta."

He then gets up and walks out of the living room, leaving me with more questions than answers. If he thinks that I'm just going to let this go, then he's very wrong.