Chapter 14

Caustic (adj)
Severely critical or sarcastic.

Dimitri's POV

     Seeing Eve in the state of panic really shocked me. She always seemed so strong. I wonder what was going on in that pretty little head of hers, what was causing her so much anxiety.

I feel her chuckle from beside me. When I look over, she's giggling at a scene in the movie, and I can't help to smile. At least she's starting to feel better now.

My hand finds her hair and I play with the silky brown strands. She seems to relax more while I'm doing this. Not that I'm complaining.

It's wrong to have feelings for her, but I can't help myself. She's too beautiful to not pursue. Women from the office or in the mafia world don't compare to her.

I've had my fun with other women, but they weren't as innocent as Evelyn is. They were merely just to pass the time.

When the movie is over, we both say goodnight and go to our rooms.

I stir in the bed and try to find a comfortable place. This is going to be a long night.

Evelyn's POV

     Waking up to the sound of my buzzing alarm clock I sit up and stretch.

I do my morning routine and get dressed in a black pencil skirt and a yellow collared shirt. I wear my hair in a high ponytail and apply a light wash of makeup.

Last night was a rollercoaster of emotions, I've had anxiety before...but not like that.

Luckily, I wasn't alone, Dimitri was there, and he actually helped. I didn't expect him to care but I think he did.

I put on my black flats and head out the door to Dimitri's car. He's standing in front of it like he always is, ready to open my door.

Once we start driving, I have the urge to thank him.

"Thank you for yesterday. I don't know why that happened." I state.

"It's okay. Sometimes feelings are too much." He smiles softly.

We get to the building, and he walks me all the way to my desk.

"Good morning Mr. Ricci." Kim smiles already sitting at her desk.

He gives her a stern look, as if he's telling her to know her place.

"Mr. Ricci can I please talk to you for a moment." She asks.

She hasn't looked at me once. I feel like I'm third wheeling.

"Alright." He sighs.

While walking out of the room Kim rolls her eyes at me.

What did I do? Is it because I changed plans at the last minute? I thought everything was okay.

Shaking the thoughts out of my head I start my computer.

"Hey Evelyn." Martin waves.

"Hey Martin." I give him a warm smile.

"You know, taking off means you make less money, right?" He chuckles.

"I know I know, I had to go see my dad yesterday." I chuckle with him.

"Is it a coincidence that boss man wasn't here either?" He raises an eyebrow.

"Evelyn! I missed you!" Raeni hugs me.

Thankfully she distracted Martin enough to not pester on that question.