Chapter 26

"Your sister is getting to be quite the handful isn't she?" I taunt, enjoying how his expression darkens slightly with each word. A man clears his throat and I turn to face one of the Aspect Lords.

"Lord Va'as, I am pleased to make your acquaintance again." I say respectfully and bow slightly. The deep orange coloured being nods, his long black ponytail swaying along his lower back.

"I assume that you are here to fuse again?" He inquires, looking at us with heavily hooded eyes that slightly bulge out from his orange shaped head. We nod and he motions for us to follow him. His expression holds no humour as he leads us to a small stone alter. As always, the Lord looks sickeningly thin, his skin tight around his defined muscles.

"Your bodies will be safe here as previously promised." He announces and a small grin spreads across my face as I look back at Duke.

"Ah, that's right. If one single thing is disturbed, you will perish, will you not?" I ask darkly, enjoying the shadow that flashes across his face.

"You would die as well." He reminds me and I burst out into an insane laughter.

"If only I was that lucky." Unlike humans, I am not a being who can die, it is rather frustrating, really. Mortals take everything for granted, life, death, joy, pain. It's absurd in all aspects of the term. My grin slips down to a frown of annoyance as we follow the Lord, his silver bands clinking as he moves. They cover his neck, arms, wrists, and ankles, all having intricate royal designs etched into them. Piercings and garnishes line his long and stretched out ears, three more embedded above his left eye. The only colour differences are the baggy Violet combat pants that are held up to his thin waist by a small golden belt. Oddly enough, they match his eyes, a deep purple with brilliant gold irises that are mostly hidden by his eyelids, giving him a wise yet aggressive look.

Duke ignores me, keeping his temper in check as we stand in the centre of the alter. Some of the engraved pearl white stone has been cracked, the deep gashes running almost all of the way through the structures. It's most likely from our last fusion. Ah, such an interesting event that was. A grin spreads itself across my face again when I think about the surge of power that swirled around us from our auras mixing.

"It's time." Duke says calmly and I nod, my grin never fading.

"That it is." We kneel down facing each other, heads bowed. The second my eyes close, I can feel the disgustingly pure energy pulsing off of his body and mixing with mine. However, the amount and the force behind it is quite intense and rather impressive, if I do say so myself. The air crackles, tension filling every free space in the surrounding area. Power is slowly drawn from my body towards the front of the alter, the darkness mixing with Duke's light. Again in the blackness of my vision, I see the familiar ethereal form reaching out towards me, I chuckle softly and take the being's hand, letting it guide me to the source of our combined power. There is a brilliant light and everything grows deathly silent for a few moments before my vision returns, tinted in light blue colours.

"Now I trust that you will be back shortly, Saval?" Lord Va'as asks plainly and Duke and I nod at the same time, the new being following our lead. We cast out our hand and a bright red portal forms, leading back to our realm of existence. The air whips around our body as we step through, red consuming our vision as the portal snaps shut behind us.

KYLEE:

I can feel my strength fading as I wait for my brother to return. The healers have come back but the warmth that once flooded my body with their touch now feels like a cool whisper of energy, barely affecting anything. Worried glances are cast among their tired faces, all of them refusing to make eye contact with me. They don't have to say the words that they are thinking, though, I already know...