Chapter 32

KYLEE:

I know it's only been about a week since I left, but it feels like so much longer. Everything is still the same, though. Even the courtyard looks untouched by the passing time, the grass still vibrantly green and evenly cut about two inches above the soil. It feels normal, peaceful, a nice change from all the chaos that seems to dominate every aspect of my life. Well,c orrection. Everything is mostly peaceful until I hear a loud voice calling my name.

"Kylee! Oh My God!!! You're back!" Grace runs up and wraps her arms around my waist, pulling me into the familiar bone crushing hug that I will never admit to actually missing.

"Can't breathe..." I wheeze, laughing softly as she drops me and takes a few steps back with flushed cheeks.

"S-sorry... But where have you been?! Like seriously, you left me alone to suffer through Mrs. Habbersham's class! That's worse than the human death penalty!" She places the back of her hand against her forehead, pretending to swoon.

"I was... Out getting better. Turns out I just needed some fresh air." I glance at Duke who nods with a small smile as Grace stares between us with a skeptical expression.

"Uh huh... And the hunk is who exactly? I mean, seriously, Kyles if you wanted to have a fling that badly-"

"Grace... Duke here is my brother." I feel a blush of embarrassment rising to my cheeks. "What you said was so wrong in so many ways.... And don't call me Kyles! What kind of name is that?" She gives me a toothy grin in response, wiggling her eyebrows. Geez, what is going on with this girl?

"It's your new nickname! And I didn't know you were into the whole brother-sister thing. Kinky." My blush deepens as she laughs and I have the distinct urge to either punch her or complain how disgusting that idea is. "Oh relax! I'm just kidding! Geez, you're so uptight. Chill out some, girl!" She smiles at Duke and tilts her head, bright red hair spilling off of her shoulders.

“And you are definitely cute. Mmmm, I’d like to taste you one day, just a bite… Or two.” I look at her in shock as she winks at him and licks her lips. Duke laughs awkwardly and rubs the back of his neck, most likely unsure and completely uncomfortable with this entire situation.

“He’s. My. Brother.” I remind her for what feels like umpteenth time and she grins back at me shaking her head.

“Well I never said anything about you tastin-“

“You know what, topic over. Yep, I’m done here.” I take a deep breath, trying to calm down. Just what is getting into this girl? Seriously… Duke leans in close enough to whisper into my ear so that Grace can’t hear us.

“Vampires and werewolves tend to get like this when they get into their later teenage years. It’s a mating thing.”

“But why you?” I ask curiously. Duke isn’t even a vampire despite his long life. Hell, it would have made a lot more sense if he was, but the world doesn’t seem to work that way.

“Any male in their sights is a target and it looks like I’m it.” He shudders dramatically and I scoff, punching his arm lightly but smiling at the same time. I like that he is finally showing some of his true feelings. It is a lot more comforting than that mask he always wears.

“Hello?! I know you’re talking about me.” She huffs, crossing her arms and pouting.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I smile at her and she crinkles her nose at me, squinting her eyes. “You know, you look like a rat when you do that.” I tell her with a giggle and she frowns softly, placing her hand on her chin.