Chapter 11

"You may be terribly weak, but an interest nonetheless." He says calmly and adjusts his fitted white gloves for a moment while he peers down at me.

"W-why am I an interest?" I demand, trying to keep my voice strong.

"All in due time, but shall we get through our introductions first?" He raises his eyebrow, giving me a dark grin to go along with it. Do I really want to give this man my name? Obviously no, but I feel almost compelled to. My mouth opens on its own as the words spill out.

"M-my name's Kylee." I stutter, shrinking under his malicious gaze. He chuckles under his breath.

"Hello, Kylee." He pauses for a moment, taking a step back and bowing ever so slightly. "My name is Segas." His eyes lock onto mine when he looks up and I slowly start to feel behind me for the door handle. I need to get out of here.

"I-it's nice to meet you... B-but I have to go..." I mumble, about ready to dash.

"I surely hope it is not to see your family." I freeze, my hand resting on the cold metal handle.

"W-what do you mean..?" I look back up at him, my body trembling slightly.

"Why, they're already all dead." He chuckles, his eyes switching to a deep red. A look of horror crosses my face and I twist the knob.

"Y-you're lying..." I whisper, my voice wavering with uncertainty.

"Am I? Do I have a reason to at this moment in time?" His gaze switches to my hand. "If you go there, it will only be to verify my statement." The grin fades from his face, all humour gone. An almost pitying look replaces it, but I know better than to accept it as just that.

"They died because you were weak." He simply states, the words feeling like a poisoned knife to my heart. I stumble, my legs giving out. He chuckles and steps back a few feet in order to watch me fall to my knees.

"T-they're not dead..." I whisper, mostly to myself. "T-they can't be dead..." His grin returns as he sees my internal struggle.

"They are dead and it is your fault." I pull up my knees to my chest, curling into a ball as if I can shrink small enough to disappear.

"The picture..." My eyes widen as I think back to the graphic sketch that I had made in some sort of trance. He looks at me curiously before a knowing smile crosses his pale lips.

"So you did have a premonition or were at least subconsciously aware of it." He chuckles, moving closer to me. "Interesting indeed." I flinch when I feel his gloved hand land on my shoulder and try to move away as his mouth comes close to my ear. "You were too weak... You are too weak to do anything... It's pathetic, pitiful really..." He taunts quietly. I know he is trying to get inside my head, but I don't have the mental strength to fight him.

"I-I don't want to be weak..." I cry, tears streaming down my face. His hand moves away as he stands, grinning down at my pitiful state.

"But you are, and nothing will change that." In that moment, all logic fades from my mind. All I want is to be strong enough so that I can protect the ones I love.

"I will train every day... I will be strong..." I mumble and his eyes widen slightly before he bursts out in a demented laughter.

"Training like that will do nothing for you. I am sure you have noticed that already, though."

"Then what am I supposed to do?!" I demand harshly, my tone stricken with grief. "It's not like I can even train under someone!" He places his hand on his chin as if he is sorting through all the alternatives to my predicament.