Chapter 33

The gymnasium seems bleak despite the light brown walls and colourful artwork etched into the wood. It is filled completely with worried students who whisper amongst themselves. The urgent call here has us all curious and worried. Out of nervousness, I adjust my pirate hat. Thankfully, I had left it in my room the day I was kidnapped and after everything that happened; I feel more attached to it than ever.

The second the doors open, all side chatter dies and an eerie silence falls among us. A man steps through and I see a bob of dark black hair over the students' heads. Is that our headmaster? I look over at Grace and she smiles softly in return, but there's no mistaking her worried expression. There are faint wrinkles on her forehead from furrowing her eyebrows together.

 "Is that him?" She asks, trying to peer in between the students to get a better look. I shrug and look behind me to see Duke against the far wall. His expression is blank, but I have gotten better at reading him. When he gets nervous, his nose tends to crinkle ever so slightly like it is now. Dein Nomos rests beside him, propped up against the same wall. His gaze meets mine and he gives me a reassuring smile. I am trying to return the small grin when feel hands on my shoulder and Grace leans over me, waving at Duke with a goofy grin.

"Do I need to remind you again that he's my brother and you trying to flirt with him is wrong in soooo many ways?"

She giggles and wraps her arms around my neck, tightening them just enough to make me uncomfortable.

"Do I need to remind you that he's hot?"

"He's old!"

"I'm immortal! -ish!"

"No!"

"Ahem." A deep voice clears, silencing us instantly. Grace lets go and we both turn to the front to see a tall man standing on the front podium. He is... Young, really young for the supposed headmaster of the academy.

"Attention students and faculty." Despite his age, the man's voice rings over us, clearly audible even without a microphone.

"As I'm sure some of you have seen, humans are planning on tearing down this forest. We cannot risk having our academy and magic exposed to them." Murmurs start among the crowd but the headmaster silences us with a wave of his hand.

"Therefore, we have reached the decision to relocate. The place we have chosen is in America. Specifically, a state called Michigan. There is plenty of forest land and a large lake nearby for any sprites and water creatures."

"But what about our families?" A girl around the age of sixteen stands up, motioning to all of us. Her long brown hair falls to her mid back, the front tied up with small braids trailing around the sides of her head. "I'm not leaving without mine and I'm sure everyone else hear will refuse also." A few people mutter in agreement and the headmaster frowns softly, looking at the girl with tired, violet eyes.

"Hannah Kitzmiller, I understand the concern for your family and I assure you that you and every other student here will be able to visit regularly if they so wish." She looks like she wants to protest more but the silent glares from surrounding teachers force her into silence and she sits back down.

“We are providing transportation for the students to America but I must ask that any students and faculty with specific teleportation abilities stay behind for a few minutes. I look over at Grace who is staring at the man in confusion. Why teleporters? Unless… Are they planning on teleporting the entire academy to this America place? That’s insane…

“I advise you all pack warmly for this trip. Unlike here, America is a very cold place, specifically right now.” The Headmaster continues in a stern voice.