Chapter 3

It takes a while to walk back to the front of the academy. It's not that it's too far; well it is practically two miles if you circle all three buildings, but that is beside the point. The issue is that I got lost because the entire academy is surrounded by woods except for the courtyard, not that I mind, obviously. Unfortunately, this section of forest is not one I am familiar with. Since pretty much all the trees are either pine or oak, everything looks the same except for certain features. For example, one oak has a lovely large knot by the base, which is how I can tell that I have been walking in circles for over an hour.

"Wonderful..." I mutter under my breath and lean against the nub protruding from the oak. The rough bark lightly digs into my skin and I sigh.

"I'm going to be late to orientation at this rate... Or is there an orientation? I don’t even know…" After a few minutes of rest, I start moving again, trying to not make any turns as I walk. Easier said than done... You would think that it would be easy to walk in a straight line, but unless identical oaks are periodically being placed in my path, I am not really going anywhere. Somehow, in a way that seems to defy all logic in my mind, I end up on a cliff, looking out into the ocean. The waters glisten as the piercing sun reflects off of the surface, creating dancing lights that seem to be having the time of their lives. At a closer look, I can see small fish swimming near the surface, most likely on the lookout for food.

"Amazing..." I whisper, slightly afraid I will disturb the peaceful scenery if I speak too loudly. I am about to leave when something else catches my eye. In the far distance rests a small island, a large castle covering most of the land. My hand moves up to shield my eyes from the sun as I stare at it. Who would put a castle all the way out there? It's too far to reach by a non-motorised boat. Then I remember that this is an academy for the supernaturally gifted. One could simply fly there if they wished, well if they can fly that is. The thing puts me on edge, though. Not only is it completely isolated, it is slightly disturbing. The entire structure seems dark and brooding like it is clouded in shadows and untouchable by light. It must be my imagination... And it's a castle for crying out loud! Of all the things here to be nervous about and I pick the most likely abandoned building that is completely isolated and practically unnoticeable. I force myself to turn away and begin wandering. If I can somehow magically find the ocean then I should be able to find the academy by wandering in random directions. The sad thing is that it works, eventually.

About twenty minutes later I see the stone and brick wall of one of the buildings. I'm not sure which one, but I am just happy that I found my way back, well mostly. I still have to find the registration office and then my dorm room. Lucky for me, the building that I happened upon turns out to be the main hall and I quickly step inside, trying to avoid any more crazy people. Can't really blame me after what just happened. What’s interesting, is that there is no longer a slice in the door from earlier. Did they replace them? No, they couldn't replace doors like that in under an hour. They must be enchanted then. Strange how quickly I'm growing to accept all of this. I will admit, though, that being raised by magical creatures certainly helps in that aspect.

"Now... Where is the registration office?" I mutter quietly to myself, reading the small directory by the doors. “Alright, down the hall and to the left.”

When I step in the large room, the first think I notice is the beautiful floral rug that contrasts, yet blends with the dark brown walls. A light red couch sits against the side wall and a similar pink chair rests on the far. To my left, is a beautiful mahogany desk with swirls similar to the ones on the columns winding up the legs and across the front. A woman awaits me with a small smile. She has bright orange hair that falls just past her shoulders, curling up slightly at the end. The most noticeable feature, though, are the angelic white wings protruding from her back. I must have been gawking because a look of annoyance crosses her face.

"It is rude to stare..." She says calmly, but her feathers ruffle slightly, showing that she is highly irritated.

"I-I'm sorry..." I stutter. "I-I haven’t  seen an angel before..." She gives a small, annoyed laugh, the musical sound echoing off of the walls.

"I am a nephlim, actually, but I appreciate the compliment." Nephlims. I have heard about them from the other Faes. They are born from a fallen angel and a human if I remember correctly. But then, why are her wings white? From the stories I've been told, nephlim either have dark wings or none at all.

"It's a long story." She replies curtly and I am taken aback.

"Y-you can read minds?" She nods a little and begins typing quickly on the desktop keyboard in front of her, her hazel eyes focused on the screen. The printer roars to life and begins shooting out pages, five in total. I look at the black and white sheets curiously.

"This is your dorm contract. I need you to read it and sign on the dotted line at the end."

"A-alright." I say and take the papers. I mostly skim the small black print, but one sentence catches my eye:

иσ ѕтυ∂єит, υи∂єя αиу ¢σи∂ιтισи, ιѕ αℓℓσωє∂ тσ ∂αмαgє αиу σf тнє ѕ¢нσσℓ ρяσρєяту. тнє ¢σиѕєqυєи¢є ιѕ ιммє∂ιαтє єχρυℓѕισи fяσм тнє ρяємιѕєѕ.

My thoughts drift back to the window. It is a really good thing that I didn't crash through or I would have been expelled before I even enrolled. I wonder what happened to that statue man, then. Was he expelled? Knowing my luck, probably not...

ιf, fσя αиу яєαѕσи, тнє ѕтυ∂єит ιѕ єχρєℓℓє∂; αℓℓ мємσяιєѕ ¢σи¢єяиιиg тнιѕ α¢α∂єму ωιℓℓ вє ωιρє∂ fяσм тнєιя мємσяιєѕ. ιf уσυ αgяєє тσ тнє тєямѕ αи∂ ¢σи∂ιтισиѕ αѕ ∂єѕ¢яιвє∂, тнєи ρℓєαѕє ѕιgи вєℓσω:

χ____________________________________

I pick up the ball point pen and begin to sign, trying to keep my hand from shaking. My signature is thankfully legible enough that she takes the papers back with a warm smile and begins typing again.

"Alright Kylee Ramirez, your room number is 16B. It's on the second story down the right hall." She opens her top drawer, pulling out a small brass key.

"I hope you enjoy the experience." Her tone is off, as if knowing exactly what will happen to me while I'm here, but then again, she does work at this place. It could just be a generic response to throw new people off their game. However, I don't think that's the real reason behind her words...

The metal is heavy in my hand and it reminds me of an old 18th century house key. The brass is rounded and about half the width of my pinky. The ends are curled into small circles which will come in handy, since I already want to make a necklace out of it.

"Thank you." I reply and go on my way. It doesn't take me long to get lost in the massive school. I make it to the second floor, but I can only find the A hall, which I quickly learn is the guys' section. A man, probably in his early twenties, steps out into the long hallway, his bare, tanned chest holding a light pink hue like he has just taken a shower. I instantly avert my gaze. He sees this and gives a crooked grin in response. This man is obviously a human and I begin to grow nervous. I have only heard bad things about human males. He seems to take my silence as an invitation to approach me.

"Hey there hot stuff." He says, giving me a womaniser grin. I scoff and roll my eyes.

"Not in a million years..."

"Awe, come on blondy!" He juts out his lower lip while trying to make his green eyes water.

"I said no... Creep." I turn away and begin to walk back the way I came. He suddenly snatches my wrist, yanking me back to him.

"I don't like girls ignoring me..." He growls.

"And I don't like arrogant little twats who think that every woman he sees is fair game. Get a life!" A sharp sound rings in the hall, a bright red mark appearing on his cheek from where my hand had just made contact. He drops my wrist and stands there in shock as I stomp away. Great, so there are those kinds of guys here as well... I just want to find my dorm and go to sleep... Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. I just need to remember to avoid the guy’s section next time, or every time really.