Chapter 28

DUKE:

We silently make our way to the alter and, as always, there is magic adrift in the air, swirling around the large crystalline grey stones. Kylee looks around nervously as I guide her to the centre and motion her to sit down.

"This is where I first met you." She mumbles, sitting down on the cool stone flooring.

"Yes. I figured that this would be the best place to talk." There is so much to tell her and I don't even know where to begin.

"Then let's start at the beginning." I look up at her in slight surprise and smile softly. She is getting better at reading me. It's just like back then...

I stood in the centre of the castle's courtyard, my gaze focusing on a small figure dressed in a ridiculous outfit. The girl wore a silly little pirate hat and a large coat with antique brass buttons that she no doubt found in one of my father's closets. She of course, was my younger sister Kylee... Kylee Pantarei. I spent most of my time in the castle with my mother and instructors, but my free time was dedicated to her. She was only eight years old and yet she spoke quite fluently. Kylee always talked about the sky and pirates. All she ever wanted to be was one. It was her dream...

I watched as she ran to me, her crystal blue eyes shining with glee and excitement. Her two long blonde braids flew behind her until she skidded to a stop a foot away from me, panting heavily. I raised my brow a bit when I saw the hat and smiled, laughing softly to myself.

"Where did you get such a goofy hat?" I asked and she looked up an me, crossing her arms and jutting out her lower lip as she pouted.

"It's not goofy! It's a pirate hat and mama made it for me today! I'm a pirate now, big brother. See?" She smiled again, lifting a pair of large bronze binoculars from her side and placing them against her eyes as she looked at me.

"I can see your pores!" She giggled and I glanced at the hat again, seeing it was indeed hand made, and with a lot of love at that. It was laced at the ends of the tips with golden thread, most likely to cover the seams. I grinned and grabbed her sides, lifting her up slowly until she sat on my shoulders.

"How about we go use those things to scout some islands and mark them." I said, motioning to the binoculars that she had set down at the base of my neck. "Someday, we'll go out and find treasure on them." She jumped up and down on my shoulders as she giggled, causing me to wince slightly but smile nonetheless.

"I'd love to, big brother. Please, can we really?!" I nodded, walking forward towards the front gates. It was a Saturday so the guards would let her out as long as I accompanied her. I took her all the way down to the coast which was South of the main castle, bringing her to the edge of a large rock peninsula that lied at the border of our grounds. The salty air filled my lungs as I set her down, causing another smile to play at my lips. I loved being out here almost as much as she did. It was... Peaceful. Kylee trotted forward and looked through the binocular lenses, beginning to point out distant land masses and marking them.

"That one, and that one, oh and especially that one!" It was times like these that I treasured the most...

"Big brother... Do you really promise that we'll go find treasure on all those islands someday?" I looked at her curiously, her blue eyes locking with mine. "Please?" I couldn't help but smile as I kneeled down in front of her and placed my hand on her shoulder.

"I promise Kylee, on my honour. Someday, we will visit them all and you'll have all the treasure to start your pirate career!" She let out a small shriek, jumping forward and wrapping her arms around my neck. My smile widened as I picked her up, spinning her around for a few seconds until she was laughing so hard that tears were forming in her eyes. As I set her down, I looked out across the calm waters. The sky was turning a deeper shade of blue, subtle hues of red and orange lining the horizon as the sun began to set.