Chapter 4

12:00 Midnight
——————————

     Branch was still waiting outside the restaurant for Poppy, his heart sinking in his chest, as he lowered his head, his ears drooping.

     "B... Branch?" he heard in a little voice behind him.

     He turned, slightly, seeing Dante.

     "We're... uh... closing for the night," he said, softly.

     Branch sighed, looking away from the little Classical Troll.

     "Ok..." he said, sadly. "I should... probably be getting home anyways."

     He started to walk, dropping the bouquet of flowers to the ground, as he sighed.

——————

     Branch rode down his elevator, his head low.

     "Hey, Gary. I'm home," he said, sadly, stepping off the elevator, and heading towards his room.

     'How'd it go?' Gary 'asked'.
"I don't want to talk about it..." Branch answered sadly.
'I told you so,' Gary said, smugly.
"Shut up, Gary."

     He walked into his room, slamming the door shut behind him, before flopping face first onto his bed.

     "Ugh..." he groaned, his heart aching.

     Slowly, he raised his head, looking over at his picture of him and Poppy sitting together, gazing into each other's eyes.

     He sat up, grabbing the picture in his hands, as he looked at it, sadly, a tear escaping from his eye.

     "She... she didn't show up..." he mumbled to himself.

     Suddenly, his sadness turned to anger, as he stood, getting ready to chuck the picture across the room.

     But... he froze...

     Slowly, he looked back at his picture, gazing at Poppy.

There had to be a reason she didn't show, right?

Branch sighed, looking away from the picture, sadly.

What if he was the reason? Did she not want to be with him? Had he done something wrong?

     He loved her.... He loved her so much... but... what if she didn't love him back?

     Crying, he hugged the picture tight, as he plopped back down on his bed, slowly crying himself to sleep.