Chapter 29

Branch ran out of the grove, and into the forest. He could barely see through his tears, as he ran as fast as he could. He didn't know where he was running to, but he did know he wasn't going to stay there.

He couldn't go home either, though... not without Poppy.

Finally, he stopped running, falling to his knees, as he buried his face in his hands, crying. He just couldn't hold back his tears. His sorrow filled his whole body, and just wouldn't go away. His grandma was gone... Poppy was gone... his whole family... was gone. He had no one. He was alone. Completely and utterly alone.

     "Watchia?" he suddenly heard from behind him. He turned slightly, seeing Uueeka standing behind him.

     "Go away, dumb bird," he cried, putting his hands back over his face.
"Synathin," Uueeka corrected.
"Whatever. I really don't care what you are. Just go a... wait..." He turned, looking at the Synathin.

     "You... you understood me?"
"Goobie," Uueeka said, nodding.
"Could you... understand me this whole time?"
"Goobie," he said, nodding again.
"So you've just been lying to me this entire time..."

     Uueeka looked away at the question, answering it sadly.

     "Goobie," he said, nodding his head slowly.

     Branch shook his head, looking away again, as he shook his head slightly.

     "It doesn't even matter," Branch said softly. "Nothing matters. Not anymore..."

     Uueeka pushed his head into Branch, knocking him down, and sitting on top of him.

     "No! Get off of me!" Branch yelled, climbing out from underneath the Synathin. Uueeka cocked his head, looking at Branch, confused.

     "Don't you get it!?" he yelled. "I don't want you anywhere near me! I don't need anyone! I've been alone before... I can be alone again..."

     "Luakooshi," Uueeka said, nuzzling Branch with his head.
"I said no!" Branch yelled, pushing him away. "Just go! Go back to Pansy! Go back to Poppy! Go anywhere! I don't care! Just leave me alone!"

     He fell back down to his knees, crying harder, as his heart ached.

Uueeka looked at him sadly, nudging him with his head again.

Branch looked up at the Synathin, tears in his eyes.

"I... I don't want to be alone..." he said softly.

He shook his head, looking away.

"Pansy's right..." he said, softly. "I... I am only thinking of myself... how much I love her... how much I need her... how much I never want to be alone again... but... what about her? What about what she wants?"

Slowly, he looked back up at Uueeka, who gazed back at him, listening to every word.

"What about what she needs?"
"Shunnaboo," Uueeka said, pushing his head into Branch's chest.

Branch smiled slightly. Though he couldn't understand what the Synathin had said... it somehow helped him feel better.

"Thanks, Uueeka," Branch said softly, hugging him tight. "I... I need to apologize. To Poppy... to Pansy..."

He stood, petting Uueeka's head, gently.

"Come on... let's get back to the grove."

Branch started to walk, Uueeka following behind.

     As the Synathin walked, he suddenly began to limp, his stomach giving off a sharp pain. He continued trying to follow Branch, but he could no longer move. He could barely keep his eyes open... he could barely even breath...

     Suddenly, he let out a loud squeal of pain, as he fell to the ground.

     Branch turned, looking at him, as he lay on the ground motionless.

     "Uueeka?" he said softly, but Uueeka didn't move. "Uueeka!"

     He ran over to Uueeka, dropping down to his knees beside him, as he tried to figure out what was wrong.

     Quickly, he put his ear up to Uueeka's chest, listening closely.

     The Synathin was breathing, but his breaths were slow, and spaced far apart.

     "Get up. Come on, Uueeka! Get up!" he said, as he shook him gently. It was then he remembered what Pansy had told him and Poppy. 'Synathins can only live in this part of the forest. Their magic is connected to the leaves on the trees in this area. If they leave for too long... they will die.'

Branch's heart sank at the memory.

"I've got to get you back to the grove," Branch said, trying to push Uueeka, but he was too big and heavy for the little troll to move.

"Help!" he screamed, but there was no one around to hear his pleas. "Someone help!"

He hugged Uueeka, holding him tight, as he cried.

"Please... you have to be ok," he whispered.

Suddenly, he got an idea.

Quickly, he stood, wrapping his hair around Uueeka, as he began to pull.

"Come on. Come on," he muttered, gritting his teeth, as he pulled as hard as he possibly could.

Slowly the Synathin began to slide across the ground. It was slow, but Branch was doing it. He was pulling Uueeka to safety.