Chapter 7

"Poppy..." Branch said, softly. "I'm sorry, but... even if your mom wasn't eaten by a Bergen... there's no telling where she is now, or if she's even still alive."
"I know she is, Branch," Poppy said. "I can feel it. Ever since I was little, I had this feeling she was out there somewhere... and now that I found this letter... I know it's true. I... I have to find her."

     Branch smiled slightly, hugging his arms around Poppy, as he kissed her forehead, gently.

     "Ok," he said, softly. "But I'm gonna help you."

     She smiled up at him, still crying slightly.

     "Thank you, Branch," she said.
"Anything for you."

Peppy's Pod
—————————

     Peppy paced back and forth, waiting for Branch to come and give him news about his daughter. He hoped Branch was able to find her. He really hoped she was ok.

     "Dad?" he suddenly heard.

     He turned, sighing with relief, when he saw his daughter.

     "Poppy? Poppy! Thank goddess you're alright," he said, running over to hug his daughter, tight.

     "Yep... I'm doing great..." she said, sarcastically, as she pulled away.

     "Poppy? What's wrong?" he asked, seeing the sadness on his precious daughter's face.

     "What... happened to mom?" she asked, softly.

     Peppy's eyes widened a bit, shocked by the question.

     "She... she was eaten by a Bergen. You know that," Peppy said, not looking Poppy in the eyes. "Do I, dad?" Poppy replied. "Do I really?"

     "What are you talking about, sweetie? I've told you all about your mother. What's bringing this up all of a sudden?"
"This..."

     Poppy reached into her hair, pulling out the letter from her mom.

     "I found this last night... in a box of mom's stuff."

     She handed Peppy the letter, and he took it, his eyes widening, as he read it.

     "You... you where never supposed to see this, Poppy," he said, softly, looking up at her. "So it's true? You lied to me. My mom is alive..."

     He sighed, walking over to her to place his hand on her shoulder, but she pulled away, glaring at him, tears in her eyes. He had lied to her... her own father... her entire life... she felt so betrayed.

     "Please..." she said. "Tell me about my mom."

     Peppy sighed, looking away.

     "I have long feared this day would come. I was hoping to protect you from this, Poppy."
"Protect me? I'm not a little kid anymore, dad," Poppy cried. "I'm the Queen... and... and she's my mom. I need to know where she is?"

     He looked at her, seeing the tears in her eyes.

     "I'm keeping this from you, because I love you, Poppy. You have to trust me..." he said, reaching for her shoulder again, but again, she pulled away, shaking her head.

     "You lost my trust, dad," she said. "You lied to me... and now I can never believe anything you say to me, ever again..."

     "Poppy..." Peppy said, softly.

     She shook her head, running out past him.

Outside
——————

     Branch paced back and forth, waiting for Poppy to come out. He was worried about her. She was just so sad, and he hated seeing her sad. He hated it more than he hated Creek, and that's saying something...

     Poppy ran out of Peppy's pod, crying, as she ran right past Branch.

     He stopped pacing for a moment, looking off after her, confused and worried.

     "Poppy? Poppy! Wait!" he yelled, taking off after her.

     He finally caught up to her, placing his hand on her shoulder to stop her from running.

     "Don't touch me!" she snapped, pulling away from him.

     Shocked at her outburst, he backed away a little.

     "Sorry," he apologized. "I... I didn't mean..."

     Poppy looked away, crying.

     "No, Branch... it's not your fault," she said. "I'm sorry."

     He went to put his hand on her shoulder to comfort her, but stopped himself, remembering that it's not what Poppy wanted right now. He was going to respect her decision, no matter how much he wanted to make those tears leave her beautiful eyes.

     "Are you ok?" he asked, softly, keeping his hands to himself. "What happened?"
"My dad is a liar. He lied to me about the other troll tribes... and now he lied to me about my mom... who knows what else he's lied to me about."

     "Poppy..." Branch said, softly, just wanting to help.

     She shook her head, still not looking at him.

     "I'll never find my mom... and it's all his fault..."

     Quickly, she turned, running off again.

     "But, Poppy! Wait!" Branch yelled, starting to chase after her.

     "Leave me alone, Branch!" she yelled, continuing to run.
"I just want to help!" Branch yelled back, still chasing her.

     "Don't follow me! I don't want your help! I don't need your help! Just leave me alone!"

     He stopped running, watching her, as she ran off into the distance.

     "Poppy..." he whispered, lowering his head in sadness, as his ears drooped down.

     Slowly, his sadness began to turn to anger, as he turned, running back towards Peppy's pod.