Chapter 12

Poppy and Branch walked through the forest together, suddenly coming upon a river.

They looked at the water, streaming past them in a roar. There was no way they could swim across... the current was just to strong.

Branch pulled out the map, looking at it closely.

"There must be a way around this river," he said, softly.

Poppy looked around, smiling when she saw a path of stones going through the water.

"Look, Branch. We can cross there," she said pointing.

Branch looked up from the map, seeing the stones.

"I'm not so sure about that, Poppy. It doesn't seem too safe..."
"Don't be ridiculous, Branch. We'll be fine. Look... that little guy is crossing, perfectly fine."

She pointed up at a flopped hopper, who was jumping across the stones.

     It was about halfway to the other side, when a giant fish jumped out of the river, swallowing it in one big gulp

Poppy and Branch stared, their eyes wide, traumatized by what they had just witnessed.

"S... see? " Poppy said, chuckling quietly. "Perfectly safe..."

Branch blinked, his mouth hanging open, slightly.

"Nope... not doing it," he said, looking back at the map.

"Come on, Branch," Poppy whined. "It's the only way across. We have to find my mom!"

"We have to stay safe," Branch responded, still looking at the map. "I'm not letting anything bad happen to you."

"Hmph..." Poppy pouted, crossing her arms.

She looked at the stones crossing the river, and then back at Branch, who was distracted by the map.

"Maybe... if we go this way..." he said, trying to find a safer path.

Poppy smiled, mischievously, and then sneakily headed towards the river.

"Ok, Poppy," Branch finally said. "It'll take longer, but if we go around the mountains we can..."
"Hey, Branch! I'm already across!"

He looked up, seeing Poppy on the other side of the river.

"What? But... how did..."
"Come on, Branch. Just hop across the stones. It's easy."

     He looked back at the stones, seeing the water rushing past them.

     "N... no... I... I can't," he said, backing away a little.

     "You'll be fine, Branch," Poppy assured.

     Branch didn't move... he just kept standing there, staring at the rapids, his eyes wide.

     Poppy sighed, seeing his fear.

     "Ok, Branch..." she said, softly. "I'll come back. We can go the long way."

     She was about to jump onto the first stone, when Branch quickly stopped her.

     "No, no, no!" he said, waving his hands. "You could fall. I don't want you getting hurt."

     He looked back at the stones, taking a deep, calming breath.

     "I'll... I'll come to you," he said, his voice a little shaky.

     "You can do it, Branch!" Poppy encouraged.

     "O... ok..." he said, softly, taking another deep breath.

     Slowly, he walked over to the edge of the river, taking his first large jump.

     He landed on the first rock, almost losing his balance.

     "You got this, Branch!" Poppy yelled, cheering him on.

     He looked at the next stone, which barely stuck out of the water.

     "I got this... I got this..." he told himself, breathing heavily in fear.

     Slowly, he took a few steps back, getting a running start before jumping.

     He landed on the next stone, his foot slipping, causing him to fall into the water.

     "Branch!"