Chapter 19

Slowly, the creature walked forewords, it's gaze locked on Branch.

Gently, it pushed Poppy away from Branch, kneeling down beside him, as it lifted his arm, checking for a pulse.

"No!" Poppy cried. "Leave him alone!"

She tried to run back over to Branch, but the creature stood, putting up it's stick to block her.

"Branch!" she yelled out, looking at Branch, as he lay lifeless on the floor. "Please, Branch! Get up! Please get up..."

Slowly, she dropped down to her knees, coving her face with her hands, as she sobbed, loudly.

The creature looked at her for a moment, and then back at Branch.

"Uueeka!" the creature yelled out.

Suddenly, the bird poked it's head out of the hole, looking over at the creature.

"Ooshima," the creature said, pointing at Branch. The bird nodded, and then slowly walked towards him.

Poppy looked up, seeing the bird gently put it's beak on Branch's stomach, closing it's eyes immediately after.

"W... what are you doing?" she asked, softly.

Suddenly, the bird began to glow, Branch glowing soon after.

     "What are you doing!?" Poppy demanded, jumping up to her feet to run over to Branch, but the creature grabbed her, holding her back.

     "No! Leave him alone!" she cried out. "Branch! Wake up, Branch! Run!"

     Slowly, the bird lifted it's head, Branch levitating up off the ground.

     Poppy's eyes widened, as she watched, not knowing what to do.

     "Branch..." she whispered.

     He lowered back down to the ground, the glow fading, until it was completely gone, the hole in his stomach slowly closing, looking as if it had never been there in the first place.

     The creature let go of Poppy, allowing her to run over to Branch.

     She dropped down beside him, gently lifting him back into her lap.

     The bird opened it's eyes, and then slowly backed away from the two trolls, heading over to the creature, who petted it's feathers, lovingly.

     Poppy stared down at Branch, as he lay motionless in her arms, until he suddenly took a deep breath, beginning to cough.

     He opened his eyes, looking up at Poppy, after finally catching his breath.

     "P... Poppy? W... what happened?"
"Branch!"

     Quickly, she wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tight.

     He sat up, hugging her back.

     "I love you too, Branch," she said, softly, crying with joy.

     Slowly the creature began to approach, Branch noticing, and quickly jumping back in front of Poppy to protect her.

     "It's ok..." the creature said, softly. "I will not hurt Princess Poppy..."
"Wait..." Poppy said, confused. "You... you know who I am?"

     The creature nodded.

     "I know you probably don't remember me," the creature said. "But I remember you. I could never forget my own daughter."

     Poppy's eyes widened at the statement, as the creature slowly took off it's mask.

     "M... mom?"