Chapter 9

Branch stomped through the village, grumbling to himself, still angry at King Peppy for what he did to Poppy. He hurt her... and that was just unforgivable.

He stomped forewords, suddenly stepping on something.

"What the..."

Slowly, he looked down, seeing Peppy's broken cane.

Had he gone too far? He was angry... but that was no excuse for what he had done.

He sighed, picking up the two pieces of the cane to look at.

"Sorry, Peppy..." he mumbled to himself, taking the cane back to his bunker to repair.

In the Bunker
——————————

Branch was just finishing glueing the cane back together.

He looked at it, making sure it was sturdy, and then began walking it back to Peppy's pod, but stopped, his ear twitching a bit as if listening to something.

"What?" he said, softly, turning to Gary, who sat on his special pillow. "Of course I'm returning it, Gary. I made a mistake, and I have to apologize for it."

'But he hurt your girlfriend,' Gary objected.

Branch looked away, getting angry again.

"Yes... he did..." he grumbled, softly. "But..." He sighed. "That didn't give me the right to do what I did. I will protect Poppy, but this... this wasn't the right way to do it."

He stepped onto his elevator, riding it up.

———————

Slowly, Branch walked towards Peppy's pod, thinking about what had happened earlier that day.

Poppy just wanted to find her mom, and Peppy was stopping her from doing that. Branch wanted to help... he wanted Poppy to be happy... when Poppy was sad, he was sad... but... he didn't know how he could help. He needed a way to find Poppy's mom. Then she would be happy again.

"Peppy?" he called out, poking his head into Peppy's pod. "I... I'm sorry about earlier. I... I fixed your cane."

He stepped inside, but there was no answer.

"Hello? King Peppy?"

There was no one home.

Branch sighed, and then placed the cane, against one of the walls, where Peppy would be sure to find it when he got back. Then, he began to walk out, but stopped, when he saw something.

Hidden on one of the shelves was a rolled up piece of paper, the name Pansy written on it.

"Hmm..." Branch said, curious, as he grabbed the paper, opening it up to look at it.

His eyes widened, as he gasped.

"No way..." he whispered to himself.

Slowly, he looked up from the paper, looking around the room, just to make sure he was actually alone. Then, he quickly put the paper into his hair, and ran off to find Poppy.