Chapter 31

"Branch? Are you ok?" Poppy asked quietly, as she slowly approached Branch, who sat at the base of a tree.

"I'm an awful troll," he said, his face buried in his knees, as he hugged his legs to his chest.

"No, Branch. You are not awful," Poppy said, sitting next to him.
"It's my fault... I was thinking about my self. How I didn't want to lose you... but I never stopped to think what was best for you."

Poppy put her hand on his shoulder, and he looked at her, his eyes red with tears.

"You should stay here with your mom. And... if it's what you want... I will go back to Trollstopia."
"Branch... I..."
"No... it's what's best for you. You need to be with your mom."

She leaned over, hugging him tight.

"I love you, Branch," Poppy whispered, beginning to cry softly. Branch hugged her back, kissing her head. "I love you too, Poppy. So much..."

———————

In the morning Poppy and Branch said their good byes, as Peppy stood over with Pansy. He had decided to stay as well, so he could be with his wife and daughter.

As Branch hugged Poppy tight, Pansy walked over to them.

"Do you know what Uueeka means?" she asked, softly. Branch looked at her, confused by the question. "It means loyal. Uueeka followed you last night, because he is loyal to those he loves. He saw you were hurting, and he wanted to help."

Slowly, Uueeka walked over, nuzzling his head into Branch.

"What happened was not your fault, Branch," Pansy continued. "It is also why I can't leave the grove. If I go... Uueeka will follow."
"And then he'll die," Branch said quietly, hugging Uueeka, as they pressed their heads together, lovingly. "I understand."

     Finally, he looked back at Poppy, tears in his eyes.

"I'm going to miss you so much, Poppy. You are the love of my life. But... if your happy..." He smiled slightly, kissing her cheek. "I'm happy."

Poppy looked at him, tears in her eyes as well, and then leaned in to hug him.

"I promise I'll come and visit as often as I can," Poppy said, holding him tight.
"And so will I," Branch said, hugging her back, as he closed his eyes.

     He didn't want to let go... he didn't want to leave... but he knew it was what was best for Poppy, so he had to.

Finally, he took a deep breath, pulling away. He smiled at her, and then nodded.

"Bye, Poppy," he said softly, his voice filled with sorrow.
"Good bye, Branch," Poppy said, wiping the tears from her eyes.

He looked into her beautiful pink eyes one last time, and then turned, walking away, heading home to Trollstopia.