Chapter 15

Quickly, Poppy began descending the cliff the waterfall was spilling over, using her hair as a grappling hook.

     "Branch!?" she called out, her eyes searching the water for him, but there was no sign of the little blue troll

"Please, Branch!" she cried out. "Where are you!?"

She reached the bottom, running to the edge of the river.

The water was much calmer down here, but there was still no sign of Branch.

"Branch!?" she called out again, tears pouring down from her eyes. "Branch!? Answer me!"

Suddenly, she began to hear coughing.

She turned, seeing Branch washed up on shore. He was on his hands and knees, as he coughed, trying to catch his breath.

"Branch!" Poppy yelled, rushing over to him.

He looked up at her, his vision blurry. He could see the pink shape running towards him, but couldn't make out any specific details.

She reached him, dropping down to her knees to hug him tight.

"I'm so sorry, Branch," she cried, hugging him tight. "This is all my fault."
"No... none of this is your fault," he said, softly, hugging her back. "It's ok. I'm ok."

She pulled away, looking at him closely. He tried to look at her, but all he saw was a blur.

"You're sure your ok?" she asked, concerned.

He smiled at her, and nodded.

"I'm fine," he assured. "Let's go find your mom. Ok?"

She nodded, wiping away her tears, before rising to her feet.

"Ok," she said, softly, reaching out her hand to help Branch up, but he didn't see it. All he could see was a pink blur where Poppy stood, everything around her just a nonexistent void of black.

He squinted, trying to focus on her, but that didn't help in the slightest.

Poppy cocked her head a bit, still holding out her hand. Why wasn't he accepting her help?

"Are you sure you're ok?" Poppy asked, concerned.

He smiled, and nodded.

"Yep. Perfectly fine," he lied, standing himself up, completely ignoring Poppy's hand outstretched to him.

She frowned a bit, lowering her hand. Why hadn't he let her help? Was he mad at her?

"Ready?" he asked, smiling slightly.

Poppy looked at him for a moment longer, and then nodded.

"Ok," she said, softly. "Let's go."

She started to walk back towards the cliff, Branch's smile fading as he watched the pink blur getting farther and farther away. What was wrong with him?

He rubbed his eyes, trying to clear his vision, but that did absolutely nothing.

Poppy reached the cliff, beginning to climb up, but stopped, when she noticed Branch wasn't with her.

"Branch?"

She looked back, seeing him standing exactly where she left him, rubbing his eyes frantically.

"Branch? What's wrong with your eyes?"

He lowered his hands, looking up, but all he saw was black. Blackness all around him.

"Um... nothing," he lied, smiling again. "I'm fine. I swear." He didn't want to worry her, so he kept what was going on a secret.

Slowly, he began to walk, finally spotting the pink blur which was Poppy.

He headed for her, but couldn't see the cliff right in front of him.

"B... Branch..." Poppy said, softly, seeing him not stopping, and just walking straight for the cliff. "Branch!"

He walked right into the stone wall, stumbling back a little, and falling.

"Branch! What's going on!?" she yelled, worried, as she ran over to help him up.

"N... nothing. I just... wasn't paying attention," he said, turning back to the cliff.

He reached out his hands, feeling the air, as he slowly walked forwards, his hands finally touching the rock wall which was the cliff.

Poppy looked at him, confused, and then gasped, realizing what was going on.

"Branch... can you see?"

He turned back to her, only seeing the pink blur.

"Y... yeah..." he lied.

Slowly, Poppy walked over to him, waving her hand in front of his face, but he didn't react at all, as if he had no idea her hand was even there.

"What's wrong with your eyes, Branch?" she asked, firmly, her voice a little shaky.

"Nothing," he lied, not wanting to worry her. "I'm fine."

She lifted up two fingers in front of his face, not taking her eyes off him.

"How many fingers am I holding up?" she asked.

He blinked, squinting his eyes a little to try and see.

"Um... four?"

Poppy gasped, backing away a little.

"You... you can't see anything... can you?"
"What? Of course I can. I was just joking," he lied. "You where holding up three fingers."

She stared sadly at him, knowing he was lying about being able to see.

"Uh... I mean... one?" he guessed, still trying to figure out how many fingers she had been holding up.

"Branch..." she said, softly. "Tell me the truth... can you see?"

He sighed, lowering his head, as his ears drooped down a little.

"No..." he admitted, sadly.

"What's wrong? Why can't you see?" Poppy asked, panicking.
"I... I don't know..." he answered, looking back up at her. "I can see your general shape... but... that's it."

"We've got to get you back home," she said. "Take you to a doctor."
"We... we can't," Branch said, sadly. "You really want to see your mom again. I... I can't ruin that for you."

He looked away, sadly, closing his eyes.

"Branch... I don't care if I never find my mom... as long as I know you're safe."

"I'm fine," he assured. "I promise. So I can't see... so what? Loads of people can't see."
"Branch... it's not safe."
"Well going back isn't safe either," he objected. "We'll have to go across the river again. I couldn't do it when I could see. How am I supposed to do it now? Not to mention you'd have to cross again too. What if you fell? I don't want you getting hurt, Poppy."
"And I don't want you getting hurt!"

She sighed, looking away.

"I don't want you getting hurt, Branch... if we keep going..." She sighed again, looking back at him. "It's just not safe."

     He looked at her, sadly. He couldn't see the expression on her face, but he could tell by the sound of her voice, she saw scared.

"Ok..." he finally said, softly. "We'll go home..."