Chapter 20

"Mom!" Poppy yelled with joy, quickly running over to hug her.

Branch looked on, confused, and then finally shook his head.

"Wait, wait, wait. Poppy... this is your mom?"
"Yes," Poppy answered, crying with joy. "I've only ever seen pictures, but I would recognize her anywhere."

Branch looked between Poppy and her mom, confused.

"So... if this is your mom... then... why did she try to kill us!?"

Pansy looked over at, Branch, slowly pulling away from the hug with her daughter.

"I never tried to kill you. What happened with you was an accident. I just wanted you to move away from my daughter, so I could get a better look at her."
"Ok... than why'd you attack me out in the forest? Hugh? Explain that!"

"Well... I didn't attack you. I saw you two sleeping out there, and I couldn't believe my eyes. I couldn't believe it was actually my daughter. I had to be sure, so I brought her here, and then went back for you. When I saw you stumbling around, I knew something must of been wrong, so I approached you. When I heard you call me Poppy, I knew all you could see was my shape. That could only really mean one thing. You fell into the river... didn't you?"

He looked at her, and then nodded slowly.

"Y... yes. I did..." he admitted.

"That river is enchanted. It is said to bring back the sight of those who have lost it. Weather they where born blind, or lost their sight to old age, an injury, or an illness... if they put their face under the water of the river, they will instantly be able to see again. Unfortunately... it has the opposite affect on people who still have their vision, blinding them, often permanently. Fortunately... I have the cure."

She reached into her hair, pulling out a small bag filled with sparkly sand.

"This sand comes from the bottom of the river. It reverses the water's effects."

"Fine... so you fixed my vision... but you still kidnapped us," Branch said. "And then killed me!"

"Like I said before. I only wanted to see Poppy a little closer, and make sure she was actually my daughter. I never wanted to hurt either of you. I do admit though... I may of gotten a bit carried away with you..."

"May of?" Branch yelled, angrily. "You killed me!"
"I brought you back," Pansy objected, rolling her eyes.
"It still hurt!"

"Ok! Enough!" Poppy yelled, stepping in between the two of them. "I don't need my mom and my boyfriend fighting!"
"Boyfriend?" Pansy asked, looking back at Branch, soon beginning to glare at him, intimidatingly.

Branch gulped, suddenly frightened, as he back away a little.

"Y... yes?" he said, softly, his voice trembling in fear.

"You listen to me, boy," Pansy said, angrily, as she approached Branch, holding her stick out towards him. "You ever hurt my daughter... break her heart... anything! I will kill you again," she threatened, as he backed away from her frightened.

He backed up into a wall, being forced to a stop, as Pansy held her stick against his neck, one of the growl beast teeth lightly sticking into his throat.

"And when I do..." she continued. "I won't be bringing you back. Do I make myself clear?"

Branch nodded quickly, his eyes wide in terror.

"Y... yes, m... ma'am..." he said, his voice shaky.

"Good..."

She pulled her stick away, slowly beginning to back away, as she kept her eyes locked on Branch.

"O... kay..." Poppy said, slowly, trying to change the subject. "Mom? Have you been here all these years? By yourself?"
"Well I haven't been alone. I have Uueeka," Pansy said, stroking the bird's feathers. "Plus his brothers and sisters, and nieces and nephews. We're one big happy family here." She paused for a moment, her smile fading.

"Speaking of family..." she finally said, softly. "How's your father?"

"Dad is doing great," Poppy said, smiling. "He actually gave us the map to find you."

Branch's eyes widened at the mention of the map.

"Map?" Pansy asked, confused. "What map? I never gave your father a map."

Poppy's smile faded a bit.

"He... he gave us the map though... it's what we used to find you. Branchie... could you hand me the map, please?"

Branch looked at her, and then at Pansy, who was once again glaring at him, growling, softly.

He gulped, backing away a bit.

"Um... how about you come get it?" he said, nervously, not taking his eyes off Pansy.

"Come on, Branch," Poppy said, putting her hands on her hips. "Just bring me the map."

Panting heavily, he refused to move, still staring at Pansy wide eyed.

"I'll get the map," Pansy said, threateningly, as she gripped her stick tightly in her hands, glaring over at Branch.

"N... no..." Branch said, quickly. "T... that's ok... I'll... just... uh... bring it over there."

Slowly, he pulled the map out of his hair, beginning to walk towards Poppy, still not taking his eyes off of Pansy.

As he passed her, Pansy made a threatening movement towards him, and he flinched, quickly running over to hide behind Poppy, as he whimpered, quietly.

"Thank you, Branch," Poppy thanked, taking the map from him, and unrolling it to show to her mother.

"See. This is Trollstopia... and this red ❌ right here is where we are now," Poppy informed, smiling once again.

"I didn't make this?" Pansy said, confused. "No one should know where I am. How did he get this?"

"Well..." Poppy said, thinking. "He actually gave it to Branch. Did my dad happen to mention where he got it from, Branchie?" Poppy asked turning to the little blue troll, who was still cowering behind her.

"Oh... well... about that..." he said, nervously.

Suddenly, he froze, his ear twitching, as he heard a sudden noise.

"What? What is it?" Poppy asked in a whisper, noticing he had heard something.

He turned towards the sound, his eyes wide, as he looked into a dark tunnel.

Footsteps... someone was coming towards them.

Soon, both Pansy and Poppy could hear the sound as well, both of them becoming tense.

"Hide..." Pansy whispered to the two of them.
"But... but, mom..." Poppy said, worried about her.
"Now, Poppy," she interrupted in a loud whisper. "Hide now."

Quickly, Branch grabbed onto Poppy's hand, pulling her behind a large rock to hide.

Pansy lifted her stick, ready to attack whoever or whatever was invading her home.

Uueeka growled softly, blocking Pansy from the danger.

"Stuka..." she whispered, slowly walking past the bird.

Finally, a figure came around the corner, Pansy lunging at it, slamming it into a wall, as she held her stick against it's throat.

Her eyes widened, when she realized who it was, quickly backing away, as she dropped her stick to the ground.

"Dad!" Poppy yelled, running over to him.

Branch peeked out from behind the rock, his ears drooping, as he gulped.

'Oh no...' he thought. "Not Peppy...'