Ch: 14 🌻

Gulf's POV

Last night had confirmed things enough for me that I felt comfortable telling my friends about it.

I would have told them earlier, but things felt so strange that it didn't feel right then. I didn't want to bring them through the roller coaster with me, especially because they would tease me about it when I was already so uneasy. Now that mine and Mew's relationship was somewhat solidified, I could deal with their teasing. I would probably find it pleasurable, even.

At our lunch between the classes, I turned to them with a grin on my face and told them why I had been glowing recently.

"So, things might not have worked initially with Mew," I started.

Their eyes were already widening, knowing looks appearing on their faces.

"Wait, when did this happen?" Mild asked me, whispering furiously.

I looked down at my hands. "Truthfully, a few weeks ago."

"Why didn't you tell us?" he asked, sounding both excited and betrayed.

"Things weren't solidified until last night," I explained.

"So, what were they then?" Win asked, leaning forward.

"Complicated," I said with a sigh, then launched into the story of what had happened, minus that my dad might kill Mew for what he was doing. They only needed to know that my dad would be mad.

When I finished, Mild shot an obvious look over at Mew. "That's kind of romantic," he said. "It's that whole forbidden love thing."

Sam scrunched up his nose. "Sounds like more trouble than it's worth,"

"Oh, come on. Imagine the possibilities," Win said. "Maybe they'll run away together to France, and our dear Gulf will make a fortune selling his artwork under another name."

I blushed. I liked that idea a lot, but I knew my dad wouldn't rest until he finds me if I did something like that. With his resources, he wouldn't have much trouble.

"Or, Mew could just get on the good side of Mr. Kanawut (Gulf's dad)," Sam suggested. "Maybe then he'll see that it was meant to be, and he won't be so mad."

"Mew is already on the good side of my dad, precisely because he doesn't indulge me," I said with a laugh. "There's no way he won't be mad."

"Is that so bad, though?" Sam asked. "I mean, once it's out in the open, you guys can really be together, right?"

I shook my head. "I'm afraid it wouldn't work that way. He would probably do everything to separate us. You know my dad is super old-fashioned."

"Maybe he'll send you to a convent like in a story," Mild said with a sigh. "And then Mew will have to come to rescue you and whisk you off in some elaborate plot where you fake your own death."

"Really, Mild, I think you might want to lay off those novels," Win said with a laugh. "Who sends anyone to a convent anymore?"

"Very old-fashioned rich people who don't want their son or daughter to be with his or her true love," Mild replied, his face saying that he wasn't serious. "Win, I thought you would know this with all the dramas you watch."

"They're period dramas," Win insisted. "There's nothing modern about them. Maybe in the Edwardian era, that might have been a solution, but not now. Instead, consider that he doesn't need to be sent to a convent to fake his own death and run away. That would be dramatic."

I laughed. "No one's faking any deaths just yet. There are still a few options before I go to that extreme."

"Good, because I wouldn't want you to be dead, even fictionally," Mild said, squeezing me close to him. "I don't want you to go away, either. Hopefully, your father will come around, and the two of you will live together in peace."