The Thing About Marriage

So, I wrote about various things over last week and didn't feel like posting any of them, I have no idea why. There was baking, there was blenders combined with my fingers or my habit of slipping and falling every single time I enter the kitchen. I am really clumsy, well not clumsy, exactly but I am more like distracted. Well, as I was saying I didn't write any of these things because all of them seemed like cliche rants, which I did almost always.

I wrote half of a rant about my friendship with my best friend, which recently ended. If you're going to comment you are sorry, then please don't you know, there are times when friendships become so twisted that they seem nothing more than a game of manipulation and obligation and the best thing that can happen is that relationship to end.

I swear I breathed a sigh of relief.

So, as you can see, my life has been an emotional roller coaster for the past couple of weeks.

And I think, yesterday, I was fully shaken.

You know why?

Well, there were these relatives of mine, who were looking for a girl for their son.

Sweet. If you're an Indian, you must be well aware about this arranged marriage concept. Well, they are in many other countries, and I am an Indian, so I am well aware of my culture.

So, let's see the situation here.

This guy, he is an alright looking guy, nothing too handsome, I mean he is handsome, but you know he is not that handsome that it will make you go "Aha!"

-People who are frowning at me for concentrating on looks, wait up and read further-

He is filthy rich, though. Correction, his parents are filthy rich, though, he manages, ahem, tries and help his dad manage a business.

He has had several relationships and I am sure he is currently dating another one of my distant cousins. Shh... I didn't say that.

The mother, she has five children in total, this boy, he is the eldest, then there are two daughters and indentical twin sons.

Please note that she herself has two daughters for whom she is looking for boys.

Now, they come here in our small little city and go and see this girl, let's call her Della, okay?

So, Della is twenty, looks younger than me, though, I'm nineteen. And she wears specks. She is cute, kind of the girl next door.

And this guy, he is bearded, I bet he has a tattoo and has an ear piercing.

If you're thinking this is a bad boy good girl cliche, stop right here because it isn't.

So, the mother takes a pic of the girl and sends it to the boy and the boy is like, "Out of everyone you got a bespectacled girl?"

And I'm like stop right there, I am self proclaimed head of all the bespectacled girls in the world. I swear. And before you get into your head that it was somehow endearing, like this TV show I used to watch when I was thirteen, where the boy would lovingly call the girl "Chashmish" As in bespectacled, no he was downright insulting.

I was fine till then, angry but not on the verge of bursting, because, well everyone has preferences.

Like I will have a disclaimer for every guy who wants to come "see" me, "I have short hair, won't grow it long, I wear specks, hate contacts, I love books and studying and won't act like a commodity,"

But what ticked me off was the fact that this lady, who has two daughters herself was talking about girls like they were some buy and sell commodity, part of a business deal.

Some comments were so degrading that it had me disturbed. I am still disturbed.

She was so vehement and crude when her daughters' proposal was rejected, but she didn't stop before calling on another girl's shortcomings like she was discussing the latest mobile phone model. I was pissed off. This is a living, walking, feeling human being we are talking about here.

I have half a mind sharing the pics with you. But I won't. I am so pissed off at people like that and their mentalities, though. Who gives them the right?

I pity the parents and that girl. I straight up told my parents I won't be acting like that. I won't hold a tray of tea and snacks for strangers. IF it means I will be a spinster for life, I am perfectly fine with it. If you guys feel like I am a burden to you, I will earn and live on my own. But not in a million years I will stand under the critcism of such narrow minded people.

This wasn't humorous, this was more of an angry rant. And I apologize for that.

Peace.