The Thing With Traffic

I have been driving my Aviator (moped) for four years now. And my trusty Aviator has always been with me through thick and thin. 

Yes, even the time when once it refused to start and I had to ask the guy I had beef with to kick it so it would start. There went my pride... Of course, one could argue that what Avie was doing was trying to humble me. 

One would think that after four years of dealing with the streets, I would be used to traffic of my hybrid city Akola. But nuh-uh-nuh. 

Everyday I am surprised with a new way that the people on road can find to irritate me. And most of the times I am annoyed with something that happens daily. 

Here are some of my pet-peeves about traffic.

 (Apart from the horrible roads of Akola that made people with awesome humour hang a sign saying, "BEWARE! CAUTION! FATAL ROAD AHEAD!" on some of the sections of roads.)

Number one, honking on the red light, I get it, I get it... you might be in a hurry, but you need to know that people, hordes of people do not have a sudden urge to stop and stand for 90 seconds just for the heck of it. As long as there is a red light, we cannot move! Your honking will just induce a migraine and make me shout on unsuspecting people and that in turn will make me look snappy. You realize you're ruining my image in front of the world. Woe me!

Number two, honking when there's no where to move, horns were attached to a vehicle to make your presence known while taking a turn, to make your presence known before you overtake a vehicle and to ask for side for overtaking a vehicle. In my four years of driving, I have not seen many people using the horns for that, but instead people honk when there is no side to give. Like seriously man what do you want me to do? Ride over that uncle who is stuck behind that auto? My dad might be a lawyer, but asking him to get me out of running over people is asking too much. 

Number three, having meetings and get-togethers in the middle of the street... It starts with...

"OI! IT HAS BEEN SO MANY YEARS SINCE WE LAST MET!" Yes, in that volume, and with dramatic vigour. Now, in normal circumstances I would smile when friends meet after years. But in the middle of the street when I am desperately trying to make it to college in time? No, no, no. Please at least go to the sidewalk and do your meet and greet. 

Similarly, people have at length discussion, a group of six grown up men standing in a circle... blocking half the narrow road and talking as though in a public park. You need me to elaborate? Well, for me, this is enough said. 

Number four, pets on highway and street dogs, I don't mind you have a pet dog, cow or goat, and I admire the level of trust you show in these animals to let them out all day for wandering. But please take note they are blocking the traffic. I was stuck in the traffic, in rains, without raincoat, because a cow decided that middle of the street is an amazing place to sit and chew. That's it. It was doing nothing but sitting and chewing. This other time, a bunch of dogs chased me two blocks for no apparent reason and had my heart racing faster than I was racing Avie... bad, bad experience. Of course, due to the out of control speed, I slipped and not only hurt my knee but also ruined my favourite black jeans. 

Number five, shopping exchanges, I don't care if you found a Zara look alike dress in two thousand rupees, so please women, don't discuss this out loud on the street for everyone to hear! And definitely don't go a step ahead and show the dress to your friend. This is a street not a runway!

Number six, spit the paan, first of all... DO NOT SPIT PAAN at all. But even then, if you have this urge to spit the paan at least look left and right. I do not want my beautiful dress covered in your red spit. I don't know about your cities, but I find this so common in mine. Like do some target practice if you're spitting the thing in public. 

There are more. But I have college and yeah, I will have to endure another round of driving. That being said, what are your pet peeves on street? Comment below!

Peace!