The Thing About Bullies

Have you ever heard that rap song about bullies?

I don't remember the artist, the singer or even where I heard it. I remember a small kid rapping about bullies and it is just so sad.

Personally, I believe all of us end up being bullies one way or another, but shit happens when we cross that line of teasing and having fun to full fledge bullying. And let me tell you kiddos, that line is thin.

I am against bullying and if you're going through that thing and need someone to talk to, feel free to PM me. I am always, well almost always free and rambling around on Wattpad, you can also tweet me @AprilDanfields on twitter.

Okay, that being said, I'm going to bring your attention to cyber bullying, or basically Writer sort of bullying.

You know, this is inspired by the fact I recently enquired it.
The thing is... Some people are completely unaware of the difference between flaming and giving a freaking constructive criticism.

Let me clear it out for you.

You have this writer, let's name her April, because I am not calling out names and as my friend told me I have this annoying habit of talking in third person like Dobby.

So, April has this piece of writing and it is pretty much not that good. I mean the plot is horrendously cliché, on top of that she doesn't concentrate much on her grammar and structure of sentences.

What do you say to her?
Method 1
This is horrendous. I won't ever read this story! Do you even know how to speak English? Why don't you grab a dictionary or two and a thesaurus and preferably an English teacher and then start writing.

Judgment: Blatant Flaming/Bullying

Look people, I get it! I can't number the stories I stopped reading because of the above mentioned reasons.

Trust me. There are so, so, many!

Yes, I stop reading them because I am too afraid to offend them.

But if someone asks me to read them and help them improve. Here's what a friend of mine taught me to do:

I like the plot, even though it seems like many I have read, maybe, you could add some twists, here and there?
I like how the character stood up for herself. I absolutely loved the way that scene went. I think you should proof read the story or hire an editor for it, that might help you get more reads.

Judgment: Constructive Criticism

And there is April 2, who writes alright plots has an average grammar, but makes too many typos.

Nice way to explain that to her would be:

Dear, I suggest you hire a proof reader or at least go through the written matter at least thrice, that way you will polish your work. And that will give you more reads.

Best of luck and keep up the good work!

Judgment: Constructive Criticism

If you go ahead an point out every single typo and say that April doesn't know how to write or spell because if it.
That's called flaming and bullying.

To all the bullies out there, maybe somebody made you cold, but the cycle ends right here because you can't lead me down that road and you don't know, what you don't know is someday I'll be living in a big old city and all you're ever gonna be is mean.

And I will be able to Shake it Off!

But you don't know that some people come out here on Wattpad to write because they absolutely love writing. Secondly, it's their place to be themselves, wind out from the daily stresses, have a moment to themselves and be back facing reality.

And during times like these, things like grammar, plot, and story becomes secondary. I am not saying everyone is depressed out there, but you never know whom you drove to the path of depression due to your behaviour which gave you maybe couple of moments of self accomplishment.

If you want to flame people, come flame me. I won't mind. Go ahead. Just stop bullying people.

All in all, more required than ever.

Peace.