The Thing With Joint Family

I know I am supposed to update Sisterly Intervention. 

But I can't. 

I am sorely disappointed with the words that flow out of my fingers. So, I thought I would rant. 

After all, this update has been long due. I mean, I must be good at ranting because this book got selected for the longlist of Your Story India - and I was like:

 I mean, I must be good at ranting because this book got selected for the longlist of Your Story India - and I was like:

Anyways on to the rant for joint family!

Oh, the pains and perks of being in a joint family. 

At times, joint family is a blessing. Gosh, so many people! You can never feel lonely. And the best thing is they can deduce when you're upset and the moment they know your family members work so hard to cheer you up. 

But know that it is a two way street. 

You'll have to do the same. And growing up in a joint family makes you sort of instinctual about these things. It comes naturally. 

Yeah, I learned loads of life lessons from growing up in a joint family. 

For starters: You cannot make everyone happy... and it is okay.

Oh my God. This is I think the best lesson that you'll learn, also, it will take a long time for you to learn this one. 

I mean in a family of twelve, with everyone having different likes and dislikes, opinions and philosophies, personalities and defence mechanisms, methods to response to stress and happiness it is impossible. (I glare down those who say nothing is impossible) Yes, it is impossible to make everyone happy. 

There will be one person, crossing their arms and complaining how things didn't go or never go their way. 

And you know what? 

That is perfectly okay. 

You cannot make everyone happy! Accept it. 

Sometimes you're the person crossing your arms and complaining. You get over it. Don't tell me you don't because you do. So, even that person will get over it. 

Life is too short to be grumpy over these matters. 

Let me borrow the words of Albus Dumbledore here.

"Really, Hagrid, if you're holding out for universal popularity, you are going to be staying in this cabin for a long while."

Get out of the cabin for God's sakes!

Number 2: There is no universal good, no universal evil. 

Now, you cannot paint people black and white, or as heroes and heroines. You simply can't. Why? Because, people are both good and bad. They are entitled to mistakes and trust me, they (including you) will make them. 

Yes, even I have done terrible things. Probably, this rant is terrible, too. You what do you know. I am a terrible person. At the same time, I am a good person. I do good things. 

That evil aunty is actually quite nice to you other times. That sasuma (mother-in-law) actually appreciates your efforts and compliments you. 

Eh, you get used to it. 

So, if you're not an angel reincarnate. By the way, being an angel also means you do not have a choice or a say in any matters - what was I saying? Yeah, as long as you are not an angel reincarnate you have no right to call out on people's mistakes. And if you're an angel, you don't have the right to make an opinion by default. 

Conclusion? Chill out. Look in the mirror. Look at your beautiful self. Why would you wanna ruin that with a grumpy frown?

Number 3: Some things (and people) are beyond your control.

If you cannot control the annoying cousin you live with. You quickly learn that you cannot many people in your life. You simply learn to live with it. 

Number 4: Nothing is forever

I am so sorry to burst that bubble!

But it is true. 

People come into your lives, and they go away. If you've lost a close relative, I think you know what I am talking about. 

It would seem like life without them is impossible. But it goes on. You're still breathing, the heart is still beating. You'll live till it is written for it to beat. You get along with lives. You move on. Yeah, the memories remain to soak you once in a while. 

Number 5: Everyone is crazy, it is not just you. 

Living in a joint family also taught me that everyone has a crazy side. And it comes out every once in a while. For some people it is constant, while some others are good at hiding. 

Number 6: Everyone is childish, adults just know how to control it better. 

I don't think I need to elaborate on it. But yeah, when you see your grandfather tease your sister. And grandma subtly flirt with your grandpa. You know it. Age is merely a number. 

Number 7: Life's a pain, but it's worth it.

Just like living in a joint family, life is a pain. Too many problems, too many people. Annoying things. Terrible mistakes but then there are the good parts of life that make you smile all the while. The memories that remind you. 

"Hey man, this shall too pass."

So, why be upset?

Yeah, I know because I bored you with a philosophical essay. 

Chill. 

I will be signing out just about now. 

So...

Peace!

P.S.: For those of you don't know. I am a cat at times. :P