adrenaline rush

——🤍——

JULIE'S POV

I walk by the prince, seeing how his eyes light up when I pass. I send a meek wave in his direction, hearing a small vocal response.

"You like him oh my god!" Riley whisper shouts, nudging my arm like we're five on the schoolyard.

"What? No. Why would I- Why?" I chuckle, shaking my head.

"I don't know, maybe the way you google at him when you-"

"EVERYBODY DOWN!"

My head whips around, quickly taking in the situation. About two or three feet from our future leaders, a pinless grenade lay.

Riley and I make eye contact, reading each other's thoughts. He rushes over to the prince and princess, practically pouncing on them.

One thing we learnt in this program: Make sure the monarch lives, even if it's with a small bruise or sore muscles. They can heal from a broken bone, they can't heal from a slit carotid.

The adrenaline pumps through my body. Seeing everyone sprint away or duck, something comes over me as I throw myself over the explosive. Point blank impact will stop the blow from causing too much damage.

What do I have to lose anyway?

I curl my body around the grenade, preparing for the seer of pain that will follow.

But nothing happens...

I sit up, holding it in my fingers. I remember things about these deadly weapons. It takes anywhere between three to five seconds for them to explode. It's been at least fifteen seconds.

I look around at Grey who has a proud smirk, seeing the pin in his hand.

With a furrowed brow, I shake the grenade and don't hear the rattle of gunpowder."It's a blank," I say aloud with a smile, my heart rate falling back to normal. "This was a test huh?"

Grey nods, slowly clapping his hands together. "You just earned yourself a day off Private Molina, you too West. I expect better from the rest of you"

"DUDE! Did you see that? Grey was like 'EVERYONE DOWN' and everyone was like 'ahhhh' and- and- and we like connected for a second then you were like 'go-" I grab Riley by the shoulders as we walk around the gardens space with our newfound free time.

"I was there," I say softly rolling my eyes. "Now shut up or I will chuck a grenade at you. A real one this time" A small scoff escapes my lips. I'm in a little pain and my temper is low when I'm in pain.

"Ouch, words hurt Molina. I'm just still rushed from that adrenaline! How are you not still riding his high! I mean seriously, how can things get any better? How could things get any worse? Actually... I might jinx it" He laughs, shrugging his shoulders.

"I think you just did" I grit through my teeth, seeing a group of five or six cadets in front of us.

"Shit" Riley mumbles.

"Just smile and nod, don't be a di-"

"Molina! West! Having fun out here while we sit and suffer?" A voice echos towards us as a boy pushes through the group of teens to the front.

"Carlson" I grit, crossing my arms over my chest. "What do you want?"

"You" He points to me. "And you" His finger slides in the air to point to Riley. "We're the closest to the action, how convenient," He says with condescension riddled through his words.