sweet home alabama

-18-

"Luke what are you doing?" Carrie asks as she and Riley show up into the room I pulled them aside to.

Riley raises his eyebrow and it seems like he has the same questions, "Is everything ok?"

I cross my arms and roll my eyes, "You two need to get your act together. Life's fucking short and you guys are treating this like a marathon"

The two look taken back and I roll my eyes, "You two need to have a fucking conversation about your feelings" I state.

Riley's cheeks flush as do Carrie's, "I- I- I uh- uh- Princess Caroline? Huh?" Riley stutters, looking embarrassed.

"Whaaaaaaa" Carrie laughs, her eyes widening to face the beet red boy, "I- sorry about hi-"

Riley takes Carrie's cheeks and kisses her, making my eyes widen from my spot against the wall. Carrie pulls back and honestly looks so cute at how flustered she is. Oh my god she's so precious. Literal definition of that pouting emoji, "Holy-"

"I- I'm sorry Princess I-" Carrie stands on her toes and softly kisses him, "Ok" He wheezes out once the two pull apart.

"No need to thank me, invite me to the wedding and yes I'll be your child's godfather. Ima go get my girlfriend some lungs" I say, waking out of the room.

"What's something you've never told anybody. Something you kept a secret?" I ask Carlos as we play chess on the palace grounds.

"That's I'm an amazing chess player. Checkmate" He winks, knocking over my black chess piece.

"How'd you- I- HOW?" I widen my eyes as he laughs, resetting the board to play again.

"I played a lot with my parents" He shrugs, "And to answer your question honestly... probably my full story. The fine detailing of my life. Kinda like how there's a... pizza, you see the crust, the toppings and the cheese but that all covers what's under it all. A mess"

"You should be a words smith" I chuckle, making the first move, "Amazing metaphor 'Los"

"That's not how you- ok whatever" He chuckles, moving his pawn. "What about you? Deepest darkest secret?"

"I have survivors guilt" I shrug, leaning back in the metal seats.

"From what, if you don't mind-"

"Everyone dies here. My mom, both of Alex and Reggie's parents, Flynn's mother. Makes me wonder if I become king, will I be next? Will my queen be next? I guess that might not be survivors guilt yet" I shrug.

Carlos pouts and reaches across the table to take my hands in his, "You're not to blame, you shouldn't feel any kinda guilt for being alive. Your mother was sick. Flynn's mother was going through her own things. Alex's parents were assassinated and what happened to Reggie's parents was a tragedy. None of which are related. You can't beat yourself up over these kinda things"

I look from our hands to his eyes back down to his lips- Luke no-

"Stop it" Carlos groans, rolling his eyes with a laugh, "I know what you're thinking"

"What? I'm not allowed to have an obvious crush?" I chuckle, raising an eyebrow.

"Not when you're engaged to be wed" He scoffs, pulling his hands away. "Lucas you need to get your feelings in check"

I let out a sigh and nod, hanging my head low, "Yeah yeah I know"

The grounds fall silent for a moment before... "Checkmate" Carlos snickers.