reader, jack and mark, drawing

y/n pov

Everyday was the same here. wake up, eat, sleep, repeat. I didn't mind it too much since l had a fantabulous imagination to help me pass the seemingly never ending time. But I wanted something new, something that would excite me, blow my mind even. I'm sure anyone would if they stayed in the same place all their life.

I've already explored every inch of this village, including the invisible barrier that surrounds it. which is basically a huge camoflauged dome that hides us from other creatures of the forest. It supposedly keeps us safe but being honest it feels more like we're trapped here. I've wondered about leaving a lot but I've never crossed the barrier, to afraid I suppose. It's common knowledge to everyone here that you should never go past it, because out there it's impossible to survive.

I remember once someone was stupid enough to actually go out there. poor bastard didn't even make it 10 feet before he was swallowed whole by a snake. still shiver every time I think about it.

And don't ask me how the barrier keeps other animals from coming in, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with hiding our presence or making it seem more threatening, I just don't care enough to remember the exact reason. All I know is that it keeps the bad shit out and us in and that's it!

Or at least that's what I thought up until today. Because my wish for something new to happen... It came true... and it was a biggy.

The day started the same as always, I was woken up at my usual time of 10:00 am to my empty stomach telling me it was time to eat. With half-hearted movements I sit up and extend my arms around in a good n long stretch, hearing the satisfying cracks of my spine, then swung my legs out from under the covers and in a swift motion push myself off the bed and stroll my way to the kitchen, motivated by the notion of food.

Once I opened the cupboard my tired eyes lit up in excitement as I thought over what to have for breakfast. Maybe the bitter sweat goodness of a blueberry, the surprisingly fine sour taste of the strawberry, or maybe even the almost savoury flavour of a ripen banna. So many choices, each one making my stomach growl and mouth drool with anticipation... Eventually I just ended up having a little bit of everything because why not.

After my stomach was full I did the rest of my mourning routine, you know showering, brushing my teeth, overall being hygienic before I slumped back down in my bed to think of what to do for the rest of the day.

Usually I'd stay inside and draw or paint while I sat by the wall sized window in my room, mesmerised by the clear view of the small river and waterfall that was right outside my house. But today I felt I had a little more energy then usually, probably from the sugary breakfast I just ate, and decided it'd be a great day to explore the barrier again. I hadn't done it in a while and who knows maybe something had changed since my last visit.

That is something I will soon regret

It took maybe 20 minutes to get from my house to my usual spot by the barrier. A ledge, maybe 20-30 feet above the ground, that allowed me to view the world beyond the barrier at a 'safe' and 'comfortable' height. Since nearly all the creatures outside were bigger then me I sat here to look down at them so I didn't have to feel so small and vulnerable.

Of course their were those few that still towered over me even when I was on the ledge but I didn't mind it too much since they never came too close. Honestly it was quite amusing to me that these creatures were never interested in or sometimes even too afraid to cross or come anywhere near the barrier. Now don't get me wrong I was still terrified of them and thankful that they couldn't cross but they make for good entertainment and interesting references for drawings, especially when you don't know what the internet is.