F i v e

"So you like her?" Kaylee clarifies, swinging our door shut behind her and dropping the keys onto a nearby surface.

"No." I state, for what feels like the thousandth time, "I thought I could like her, I don't know, it felt easy to talk to her, like natural almost." I say, finding myself smiling at my own words before reminding myself of something, "But she's straight so case closed."

Kaylee raises one eyebrow giving me a sarcastic expression, "You do know there's a thing called bi." She challenges, "Or you know, pan. . .or any of the other hundreds of sexualities."

"Fair...what I meant is she has a boyfriend." I grab a bottle of water from the fridge, closing the door and leaning back against it as I sip the cool water.

Kaylee sits on one of the stools by the island counter, "Maybe you should try guys." She offers.

I make a grossed out face making her cackle, "Maybe you should try girls." I shoot back.

She doesn't make a grossed out face like I did, instead just laughing harder, "Maybe I will after me and Kieron break up."

I don't laugh like she does when I hear the undertone in her otherwise humoris voice. "You guys aren't breaking up." I tell her, trying to stop the pity that fights to show on my face.

All together the laughing subsides leaving her with a saddened expression, "It's hard being this far away from him."

"I know." I breathe, trying to get her to open up.

"What if we stop talking once his school starts?" She asks and I shake my head softly getting ready to tell her something comforting like 'you won't' or 'you guys are meant to be' but before I can get any of the words out she continues, "We're so different Kris. I wanna travel the world, he wants to settle down and have kids. . .those two things usually clash."

"You guys'll figure it out, you're Kaylee and Kieron."

"Kaylee and Kieron?" She speaks, using the same tone I did, "Has a nice ring to it huh." She muses.

I nod smiling as she grins slightly, "Are you ever gonna have kids?"

"I honestly don't know." She says, the smile slipping from her face, as she stares at the counter top, "Kids are fucking difficult."

"You like Teddy." I argue.

Kaylee meets my eyes, smiling again, "That's cause he's Teddy, he's fucking adorable."

"What, you and Kieron's kids won't be adorable?" I challenge as her lips tug up more convincingly this time.

"Do you realize you just called my boyfriend hot?" She jokes, making me chuckle.

I shake my head, as the laughing leaves my body, "You should be proud of that, me, a lesbian, just called your male boyfriend hot, celebrate it."

She rolls her eyes as she laughs. I know it doesn't mean she feels better, laughing I mean, but still I hope it helps, even if it's only a bit. She always tries so hard to appear strong and emotionless that when she finally shows vulnerability it worries me. It's the same with Jenna. God how did I end up with two best friends who hate talking about feelings if it's about their own. Then again Kieron's fucking awsome at feelings so maybe that makes up for it.

---

"Who are you texting?" Maia questions, leaning from her seat in the car to peek at my phone. I look up front where Alexandra's driving while talking happily with Kaylee in the passenger seat.