T w e n t y - o n e

"I never realized how fucking terrifying this place is." I comment, before hearing laughing on the other line. "I'm being serious, it's scary being here alone."

"I'm sure it's fine." Maia comforts as I roll over in bed, resting on my elbows and holding the phone to my ear.

A smile crosses my face as an idea pops into my head, "Maybe you should come over so you can see how creepy it really is."

She hums at my words, "I don't think it'd be as creepy if we were both there."

"That's the point." I explain, rolling my eyes, silence on the other line gives me time to listen into the quiet house, convincing myself I hear creaks, my eyes widen, "I think I heard something." I mutter, tuning into the rain hitting the glass windows of the house.

"If you're listening to hear something, you're gonna hear something." Maia tells me, her voice laced with amusement.

"Please come." I say again, rolling until I'm at the edge of my bed, this time on my back.

"You really want me to?" She asks as I hum a yes. "Okay, I'll come over." A smile ghosts over my lips, as I let out a 'yay' followed by Maia's laughter. "I'll see you soon, yeah?"

"See you soon." I agree, right before the line drops. The silence of the house, mixed with the heavy rain bothers me to the point of getting up and walking into the living room to blast friends over the speakers, just hoping to drown out the quiet of the empty house.

About twenty minutes into the episode I smile as the doorbell rings. Pausing the tv, I hop off the couch, eagerly opening the door.

There stands an amused Maia, in pajama pants and a sweatshirt, her hair and clothes lightly drenched from the rain. "I hope you're happy, because I got very wet outside." She says, putting her hands to the side to show her outfit.

Despite the wet clothes, I pull her into a hug, wrapping my arms around her neck. I feel her stiffen slightly, probably a bit shocked but a few seconds later she's leaning into the hug.

"I am very happy." I say, pulling her into the house by her hand, closing the door softly and locking it with a click. "Now we can get killed together." I state, with a smile.

"We're not gonna get killed." Maia replies, laughing as she walks further into my apartment. "So this is where you live?" She asks, looking around the dark space, only lit by the bright tv.

I nod my head, "Yeah, but you've been here before right?"

"Nope." She says, turning back to look at me.

"Well then come on, all show you my room." I say, taking her hand and pulling her towards my door.

We enter the mostly clean room, the only messy thing being the unmade bed, and the two pillows laying on the ground.

I watch from the door, dropping her hand as she looks around, glancing at some pictures on my dresser. "This is your mom?" She asks, making me draw closer to see the photo she's holding.

It's the one from my adoption, only of me and Alyssa since Dave had to take the photo. "Yeah that's her." That photo's the only one of my family, since the rest stay in my room back home, the other photos are ones of me and Jenna, one of me Kieron and Kaylee, a few of just Kaylee and me, and then a few of just Kieron and me.

"She's pretty." She says, placing the picture back down. Her gaze focuses on something across the room, making me follow her line of sight, finding it's the medications of my night stand.