Chapter 7 - Monster

You see Nat come in but Loki doesn't. You point at her and Loki turns around. "There's not many people who can sneak up on me." Loki says, surprised.

You remember this part and decide to sleep through it. "But you figured I'd come." Nat says before you drift off into a dream.

You wake up with a start to the sound of Loki's fist hitting the side of your prison.

"You won't touch Barton." Loki growls. "Not until I make him kill you. Slowly, intimately, in every way he knows you fear. And then he'll wake just long enough to see his good work, and when he screams I'll split his skull. This is my bargain you mewling quim."

Jeez you think to yourself. I remember all of this but still.

Nat looks hurt as she rightfully should be. "You're a monster."

Loki just laughs. "Oh no. You brought the monster."

You slap your hand to your forehead. Great job Loki. Way to be very discreet.

Nat turns around, all hurt on her face gone. "So. Banner. That's your play."

Now Loki looks taken aback. "What?"

You smile. Even though technically you're on Loki's team, it's still nice to see Nat kick butt. Plus, Loki deserved to be knocked down a peg.

Nat walks away, talking into her communication device. "Loki means to unleash the Hulk. Keep Banner in the lab. I'm on my way. Send Thor as well." She turns back to Loki and smirks. "Thank you, for your cooperation."

Once she's gone you look at Loki. "Wow. Stunning performance. The god of mischief with a supposed 'silver tounge' loves to talk so much he ends up revealing his own plans."

Loki looks as if he's about to say something but you stop him. "No. Let me get it all out. During my interrogation I told her nothing. Nada. Zip." You laugh. "Me, the worthless Midgardian, is better at holding a secret than a freaking god."

Now Loki is mad. He pushes you against the wall. "You have no right to talk to me like that mortal!" He shouts. "I will be king of-"

You push him away. "You will be king how? Your plan sucks. Believe it or not, us Earth people don't like it when random space people come down and try to rule us. Humans like comfort. And familiarity. You are neither of those things. No one on earth will ever want to be led by you, not only because you're a jerk, but because you lack humanity."

Loki looks a little ashamed. "Then why did you help me?"

"I don't know." You whisper, any trace of the anger you were feeling a second ago gone. "You don't know what I've seen. I know how this war ends, how the next war will end, and the one after that. I know what will happen to you, to Nat, to every Avenger on this ship. But I don't know what will happen to me."

You sit down in your pillow nest, defeated. "Loki, when you are rescued from this cell, you can't take me with you. I need to stay here. I know your plan, and I will help you even if I don't agree with it, but you have to let me do it my way."

Loki sits down next to you. "Can I braid your hair?" He asks.

You smile at him. "Of course." All of your tension is relieved as his nimble fingers travel through your hair, weaving and unweaving.

Suddenly he stops. You turn around to look at him. He looks sad. "(y/n), am I a monster?"

"What? Loki, of course not." You are surprised. You thought he didn't care what others ideas of him were. "No one is a monster. As long as you have someone who cares for you, loves you, you can never be a monster."

Loki looks happy. "Thank you (y/n)."

He goes back to braiding and you have a sudden urge to sing. Under your breath, you start a song your dad would sing to you when it was time for bed.

"You can get lost in the music for hours, honey
You can get lost in a room.
You can play music for hours and hours
But the sun'll still be coming up soon."

Loki looks at you. "Your voice is beautiful. Don't stop." He closes his eyes and leans his head on your shoulder.

So you sing more.

"The world's just spinning
A little too fast
If things don't slow down soon, we might not last.
So just for the moment let's be still."

Loki is asleep, and you stop singing. You rest your head on top of his and close your eyes. You stay that way for a while, not sleeping, just listening to the breathing of the man next to you.

(If anyone wants to know what that song was it's Let's Be Still by The Head and the Heart. If you haven't heard it before I definitely recommend it's one of my favorite songs)