Chapter 8 - Escape

The ship shakes, and you are aroused from your tranquil moment. Alarms start blaring, and you and Loki stand up.

You stumble as the ship shakes again, and you grab his hand for support. He looks down, and says nothing. Then you hear the Hulk roar.

You turn to face Loki. He's smiling. "See, my plan did work." He gloats.

"Ugh." You pull your hand away from his. "Only because Hawkeye showed up."

Loki tilts his head and looks at you, confused. "How did you-"

You laugh. "I've told you to stop asking me that question. You won't get an answer."

Then, you hear the door to your cage unlock. Loki pushes it open and you follow him out, but not before grabbing a blanket and tying it around your neck like a cape. He turns around and looks at you. "Go get your spear." You say with a smile and a wink.

He splits into two versions of himself, the real one walking away and out of the door. The other goes back into the cell. You look around for a place to hide, eventually finding a corner hidden by a pillar.

After a couple minutes of alarms blaring and the ship shaking, you see Thor come in. He notices fake Loki about to escape and runs through him, right into the jail.

You stifle a laugh and mouth the next words along with faux Loki. "Are you ever not going to fall for that?"

Thor is super irritated and he hits the side of the cage with his hammer, making a crack. Fake Loki looks worried for a second but then he recovers himself and laughs.

He goes to the big red button, his fingers tracing teasingly over it. He smirks at Thor. You want him to hurry up and press the button already but of course he doesn't. "The humans think us immortal. Should we test that?"

You hear a noise and see Agent Coulson standing at the door, holding a giant gun. "Move away please." He says politely. Mist Loki just grins at him. "You like this? We started working on the prototype after you sent the Destroyer. Even I don't know what it does."

You start shaking your head, although no one can see you. No no no. I cannot handle Coulson dying. He cocks the gun and aims it right at faux Loki's chest. "Do you wanna find out?" He asks.

Just then, real Loki appears behind him, stabbing Coulson right in the chest. Thor yells, and you run to him. The blood is coming out of his chest rapidly, and you take deep breaths, trying not to faint or throw up.

As Loki walks by you glare at him. You untie your blanket cape, and try to staunch the blood flow with it. In the background of your futile attempts, you hear Loki press the button, dropping Thor down to the waiting Earth below.

Coulson pushes you aside and you crouch next to him as he stares up at Loki. "You're going to lose." He says.

Loki does his signature smirk. "Am I?" He asks.

Coulson stares him dead on. "It's in your nature." Ouch. You think. Why is everyone so mean with their insults?

Loki doesn't appear phased, but you know the comment has hurt him. "Your heroes are scattered, your floating fortress falls from the sky, where is my disadvantage?"

Despite all the blood leaving his body, Coulson seems strong as he retorts. "You lack conviction."

Loki looks offended. He's too focused on Coulson's words to see what the agent is doing with his hands. You flick your hand at him in a gesture to move, but he just looks at you confused "I don't think I-" He starts presumptuously.

Before he can finish, Coulson shoots him with the big gun. Loki is blasted back through a wall, and lands with a loud thump. Coulson looks at you. "So that's what it does." He quips.

You run to Loki. His clothes are singed and his hair is a mess. He glances up at you and smiles. "(y/n)-" He starts.

You shake your head, telling him to stop. "I'll see you in New York." You say as you fix his hair. "I won't kill any humans or smash up the city, but I will be there, supporting you." You help him up.

To your surprise, he responds "Thank you." Then he grabs his spear thingy and walks off. You watch him go before running back to Coulson. You know there's nothing you can do to help him, but you still want to be there.

He gives you a genuine smile. "It's nice he has someone caring about him." He whispers. "Don't let him go."

You hear footsteps approaching, and you nod at Coulson right as the door opens. You turn around and see Fury standing in the doorway.