Chapter 15 - Star Wars

(Slight spoilers for Star Wars movies 1-3 (the ones with Padme) so keep that in mind)

The next morning, you wake up to the sound of a guard bringing you breakfast. This isn't so bad, breakfast in bed... until you look down at your plate and see a bowl of nasty looking gray gruel.

You scrunch up your nose and Loki comes over. With a swish of his hand, the gruel becomes oatmeal, a step up, but still not your ideal breakfast.

"Thank you." You say sweetly. "Could you get me some Earth clothes too? No offense but the Asgardian ones are super uncomfortable."

He chuckles and you get out of bed and go into the bathroom for a shower. When you're done you come back out in the least fancy outfit.

You get a shock when you see Frigga standing in the room. "Um, hello?" You do your best curtesy based off of Cinderella. "We didn't get to talk earlier, I'm (y/n)."

She smiles kindly at you. "I know who you are, Heimdall did his best to keep us informed."

"Oh." You nod, feeling a little stupid. "Sorry for yelling at Odin earlier, I just get a little defensive."

Out of the corner of your eye, you see Loki smile, and Frigga laughs. She leans in conspiratorially. "If I'm being honest, he may have deserved it."

You draw back in shock, surprised but pleased that you might have an ally other than Loki at the palace. Then you internally frown, remembering what happens to Frigga soon.

She sits down on the couch and addresses you both. "I was just asking Loki why the books I sent don't interest him."

He makes his usual haughty face. "Is that how I am to while away eternity, reading?"

What's wrong with reading? I'd do it all the time if I didn't need to make money. But instead of that you say something different. "Frigga? Wait no queen of Asgard-?"

Frigga interrupts. "You can call me mom."

You pause for a moment, shocked. Mom? I guess just go with it. "Oh, um Mom, I was actually interested in reading the books, but they are all in Asgardian, I was wondering if there was a way they could be translated?"

She gives you another motherly smile. "Why of course dear. It may take a day or two, but until they arrive, I'm sure Loki could read to you." She sends Loki a pointed look as to say, you better.

He grumbles but eventually gives a nod of consent. Frigga still has her eyes on him as she says "I've done everything in my power to make you comfortable, Loki."

In the background, you vigorously bob your head in agreement but it seems like neither of them see. They are both too involved in their own conversation.

The last thing you hear Loki say is "Have you? Does Odin share your concern?" Before you go into the bathroom and shut the door, not wanting to hear them fight.

Instead, you amuse yourself by rummaging through the medicine cabinet and looking at Loki's stuff. Everything is super cluttered so you end up organizing it all. He owns a ridiculous amount of hair products and hand moisturizers, which must be why holding his hand feels like heaven.

After two minutes of snooping you decide to go back out into the battlefield, and arrive right at the worst part.

"He's not my father!" Loki shouts, his anger and grief showing on his face.

Frigga is cool and collected. "Then am I not your mother?"

You open your eyes wide and behind Frigga's back try to signal in any way possible for Loki not to say the next two terrible words.

But he doesn't see you or he does and ignores you because he whispers, "You're not."

Frigga has tears in her eyes as she says what you know to be the last words to her son. "Always so perceptive about everyone but yourself."

She reaches forward to hug Loki but when they finally make contact she disappears. He looks broken as he sits on the couch, face in his hands.

You walk over quietly to him and sit down. You rub his back in slow, circular motions, doing your best to be a comforting presence. He slowly relaxes into your touch and you sit comfortably.

After some time, he turns and looks at you. "It seems I can't stop owing you (y/n)."

You smile, glad he seems to be feeling better. "That's fine with me, I like you being in my debt."

"Back when we were leaving Midgard-" He starts. "Stark called you Padme. What does that mean?"

You grimace. "Well Padme Amidala is a character from this big franchise called Star Wars."

He frowns, not satisfied with your answer. "Why did he call you by her name?"

You sigh, not wanting to tell him because it'll be awkward. "It's complicated, but basically she's a princess and she falls in love with this guy, Anakin, they get married and she is pregnant. But then he gets worried about her dying so he goes into protective mode and basically becomes super evil to keep her safe."

He makes a confused face at this. "Yeah, I know, his line of thinking doesn't make much sense. Anyway, she is really sad and is kinda depressed about it so when she gives birth to her twins she dies. It's not a very happy ending but at least she's badass so I'll take that as a compliment."

Loki still has a confused face. "So if you're Padme, then who is Anakin? It can't be Thor..." You see realization dawn on him. "No. No way. I would never be stupid enough to use turning evil as a solution."

You look pointedly at him and raise your eyebrows. "Fine, I can understand the resemblance." You smile victoriously, actually enjoying Starks nickname.

"How do you know about all of this anyway?" He questions.

Now that you feel more comfortable, you don't dread responding. "Well, actually, I went through a Star Wars phase. Coincidentally, I had a big crush on Anakin."

He jerks back. "You? You had a crush on what seems like an idiot who doesn't know anything? I thought you had good taste!"

"Well... he is pretty attractive."

Loki makes another shocked face and you want to laugh at him but you keep your cool. "Ugh! I am offended! You wound me!" Then he pauses for a second. "Do you find me attractive?"

You are thrown off guard by his question. "Ummm, you're not bad to look at?"

He makes a harrumphing noise. "I'll take it."

You both hear footsteps coming down the hall and stand up at the same time. Fandral rounds the corner and stops in front of your cell.