Chapter 9 - Hail Hydra

Fury pushes you aside and crouches next to Coulson. All of your brain is telling you to go, but your emotions win out and you stay.

Coulson looks tired. "Sorry boss." He whispers.

Fury is having none of it. He seems determined to keep Coulson alive. "Just stay awake." He demands in his super scary voice. Coulson starts to turn his head to look at you but Fury stops him. "Eyes on me."

You are tearing up, knowing Coulson won't make it. He seems to know it too, when he whispers even quieter "Boss, I'm clocked out here."

Fury is still in denial. "Not an option."

But Coulson seems determined to get his last words out as he speaks in a louder voice "It's ok boss. This was never going to work if they didn't have something to-"

And just like that, Agent Coulson, one of S.H.I.E.L.D's best is dead at the hands of your ally, Loki. As Fury tells the other Avengers what has happened you know you should be trying to escape because they'll probably blame you, but instead you surprise yourself and stand up. You hold both your arms out for some random agents to handcuff and you let them take you to a much less high tech cell.

You wait in numb silence, shocked over everything that's happened in the last couple days. Everything is quiet except for the sound of your own breathing.

After some time, you hear two pairs of footsteps coming down the hall to your cell. You turn from where you were looking at one of the gray walls to the hallway and see the faces of Cap and Steve.

They stare at you, and you stare back, until Steve shakes his head to clear his thoughts. "Um, hi (y/n), I don't believe we've been properly introduced. I'm-"

You cut him off. "Steve Rodgers. Captain America. And next to you is Tony Stark. Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist who also happens to be Iron Man." You smile. It feels good to talk to someone that isn't Loki. "I kicked your butts in Germany."

Tony gives you a once-over. "It's debatable. The kicking of our butts. I am a genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist."

Cap seems like he wants to get the discussion back on track. "We have some questions for you, specifically about your friend, Loki."

You smile at him. "I'd be happy to help." You reply sarcastically.

Now Tony decides the conversation has spent too long not focusing on him. "We need to know where reindeer games will attack next. He needs a power source, so it's somewhere that can supply that."

You decide not to give them a straight answer. Let them do the work. "Ok, so what's Loki's deal? What does he like to do? What's his style?" You ask, prompting them to think about it.

Steve looks completely confused, but Tony catches on. "He makes it personal. That's his point. He hits us all where it hurts."

You nod. "Exactly. But what else? He knows he has to take you out to win right?"

Tony furrows his brows, he doesn't seem to get it.

So you continue. "He wants to beat you and he wants to be seen doing it. He has an ego. He wants an audience."

Steve seems unimpressed. "Right, we caught his act at Suttengard."

Now you just start feeding them the answer. "Yeah. That was just a preview though, this is opening night. Loki's a full-tilt diva." You smirk internally, knowing how irritated he would be to hear that.

"He wants flowers, he wants parades, he wants a monument built in the skies with his name plastered on it..." You trail off, letting them figure it out.

Tony's face darkens. "Son of a bitch!"

He drags Cap away and as they are leaving you hear Steve ask "Wait so where is he going to attack?"

Tony growls. "New York. My tower."

Soon your cell is silent again, and after what seems like about 25 minutes, you know all the Avengers are gone, which means you have to come up with an escape plan.

After thinking for a short while, the best plans you have are to pretend to die and have that somehow help, or try to mentally send out signals using your normal human brain to Loki's mind so he can come and get you out.

You are about to try the first option when you hear footsteps again. You see S.H.I.E.L.D/secret Hydra agent Brock Rumlow walking by and you suddenly have a plan.

"Psst." You whisper to him. "I need you to get me out of here. It's all part of the plan to take down the Avengers."

He looks at you like you're covered in bird poop. "Why would I help you?"

In response, you lean close to him and whisper "Hail Hydra."

He raises his eyebrows at you and looks shocked that you would be apart of Hydra. But then he shrugs and unlocks the door for you before walking away quickly.

You smile. I can't believe he fell for that! You wait until he's completely gone before you tiptoe out the door and down the hall.