Chapter 17 - The Kiss

When the dust clears, the room is a mess. Everything is broken and scattered on the floor. The only things left untouched are your bed and the couch.

You take a step towards Loki. His hair is all tangled, his skin is even paler then usual and his body is racked with deep, heaving breaths, mixed in with tears.

You take another step closer. "No!" He shouts. "Get away from me, I'm a monster!"

Despite his yelling, you take another step. "Please." You whisper.

One more step and you're next to him. You don't know what to do so you give him a hug. At first he is stiff but soon he leans into your touch.

You lead him to the bed and he sits down next to you. "(y/n)?"

"Yes Loki?" You whisper.

"Before you said I will never be a monster as long as someone still cares for me. When you said that I thought about my mother. But now she's gone. She was the only one who cared for me and she's gone. Which means I am a monster."

You shake your head. "No. You're wrong. You're still not a monster."

"Why?" He yells. "Are you going to tell me that Thor cares, that Odin cares? Because if you did, you would be a liar."

"Of course not." You say softly.

"Then what?" He yells, the anguish pouring out of him.

"Because I care. And as long as I care, you're not a monster."

He looks at you, confused. Then he asks the one question you don't have an answer to. "Why?"

You rack your brain, trying to think up an explanation for the way you feel around him. Ah screw it, I'll just use his own words.

"Loki, I'm not sure. All I know is I don't wanna hurt you. I just-" You sigh. "I just want you to be okay."

"Thank you (y/n). You have stood by me when no one else has." He hesitates. "Why did you kiss me?"

"Well, I knew you were about to make a really bad mistake and I couldn't let you live with that on your shoulders."

His face falls. "So, it wasn't because of some sort of feelings you have for me...?"

"I thought I was a pathetic mortal." You tease.

He smiles. Then his face goes back to the pain filled one it was just wearing. "You're bleeding."

"Loki it's-" But you get interrupted.

"I did this to you. I am so incredibly sorry (y/n). You always show me compassion and I always find a new way to hurt you." He rants.

"No really, it's fine. It's just a scratch." You rip off some of the bottom of your dress and hold it up to your face as a bandage. "See, everything is fine."

You don't want him to spiral down into another 'I'm the worst' session. "I'm tired, this day has been exhausting. Let's get some sleep."

He glances at his broken bed, pieces lying all over the room. You give a huff. "Ugh fine you can sleep next to me. I'm giving you a free pass mister, don't take it lightly. But first let's clean you up."

You take him to the bathroom and have him rinse out his hair which is matted and gross. You brush out all the tangles and he dries it with a swish of his hand.

You change into some pajamas and climb into the bed and he follows suit. You lay facing the outside and expect him to do the same so you are surprised when you feel his chest against your back. He puts an arm around your waist and holds onto your hand.

"The kiss was amazing." You hear him whisper.

Now is the time to be brave. You think. "I thought so too." You turn over to face him, his hand still on your waist. Your faces are inches apart. "I wish we could go to the funeral. It was beautiful."

His hand moves up to your head, stroking your hair. "Describe it for me." He demands.

And so you do. "They placed her on a majestic canoe, decked out in armor. She floated away in the water before an archer shot an arrow and the whole thing burst into beautiful flickering flames. Behind her were all the guards and people who died, and they all became specks of light as well. When she reached the waterfall, her canoe rose into the sky and she drifted away into sparkles."

Loki had closed his eyes and he opened them. "Thank you, that was beautiful."

"It was?" You ask. You were doing your best but you didn't expect a beautiful.

He smirks. "Well no, but I get the picture."

"Frigga was an amazing woman." You whisper.

"I know. But you are an amazing woman too." He leans impossibly close to you, your faces a feather apart. You close the gap, touching your forehead to his.

You close your eyes and stay that way for a minute, taking some time to just breathe. Finally you pull away and bring your hand up to his face, brushing a piece of hair out of his eyes.

"We should get some sleep." You finally say. He nods and just as you are about to turn around he places a whisper of a kiss on your forehead.

You smile and turn, taking his hand with you and wrapping his arm around your waist. "Goodnight Loki." You softly close your eyes and fall into a dreamless sleep.