VIII. Welcome Home

After Eldrid sent off the letter to Loki with their mother, she eagerly waited for his reply

After Eldrid sent off the letter to Loki with their mother, she eagerly waited for his reply. She kept herself busy, going over matters of her business on Alfheim as she waited. While she was on Alfheim, she continued to study her magic and combat. She replied to letters Thor sent. She was happy to hear from her eldest brother, but he wasn't the one she wanted to hear from the most.

She waited two hundred years for a reply from Loki.

But she never received one.

Her heart was slowly withering over the years, the decades, the centuries without hearing a single word from him. She grew cold towards matters of the heart, solely focusing on her diplomacy and how to improve Alfheim for not only the betterment of themselves, but for all of the Nine Realms. She achieved her goal despite the mockers of the newer nobles. She achieved peace just as Odin wanted.

She was to return home in time for her brother's coronation.

Eldrid knew things would be different, having been nearly five hundred years since she stepped foot on her homeland of Asgard. She was nervous to see how much has changed. But she was also excited to see her friends again, her family. A small gathering would be held in Eldrid's honor to be welcomed home. She wondered if her brothers looked any different. She knew she had certainly grown into a woman during her time on Alfheim. She wondered if they'd recognize her. She knew her parents would, but would her friends? They had all made names for themselves during her time away. Were they still the friends she knew and loved?

She would find out no matter what the moment she stepped out of the bifrost.

"Welcome home, Princess." Heimdall greeted Eldrid first with a small smile. He had watched her grow in skill and beauty since her departure. He watched her during her battle with the poison that had nearly taken her life. And he was pleased to see her return home victorious in both health and work. "The realm will be pleased with your return."

Eldrid smiled at Heimdall, he had been a good friend to her during her lonely time on Alfheim. She would speak with him nearly every day when she could. Even though he couldn't respond, she knew he was listening. And that meant a great deal to her.

"Just in time for Thor's coronation." Eldrid says with a smile, "Tell me, what became of my brother since i departed?" She asks curiously.

Heimdall chuckles, "You will find out soon enough, Your Highness. But, his adventures and victories in battle have given him... confidence." He says and Eldrid nods as she takes his words in and decifers them with the limited knowledge she had.

"Pride?" Eldrid asks with a sad smile. Heimdall merely nods and the princess sighs. "I feared that would happen. But, he is my brother, i will support him wherever i can." She says and Heimdall smiles with a nod. Eldrid knew she wouldn't take the throne, but in Thor's letters, he had promised Eldrid a high ranking title of his advisor. He wanted his sister by his side, helping him where he needed aid. Though he didn't think he needed help most times.