XI. War and Death

Landing on Jotunheim was the easy part of Thor's plan

Landing on Jotunheim was the easy part of Thor's plan. The group looked around with various expressions. Thor was determined, whereas El, Fandral and Sif looked around with caution. Sif and Loki looked around to scout the area for Frost Giants. Volstagg and Hogun looked around with anticipation and nerves.

El had only read about Jotunheim, never setting foot on the forbidden, icy lands that the Frost Giants call home. None of them had ever set foot onto Jotunheim.

And it showed.

If it came down to it, El wasn't sure if they would make it back to Asgard. Fighting Frost Giants was not like fighting Midgardians, or even other Asgardians. They were giants, their ice powers made them unique to themselves. Their homeland was a wasteland from being cut off from the rest of the Nine Realms, but they had caused that on their own. Odin stripped them of their Casket and locked their world away from the access of the Bifrost.

Ruins of palaces and a large city could be spotted if you looked hard enough. El knew they used to take pride in themselves, that they had once been a thriving world. But ever since they'd been cut off, it had turned into a desolate wasteland no one wanted to step foot on.

"We shouldn't be here." Hogun states and El can't help but agree. The icy air was nipping at their exposed skin. Eldrid and Sif had their cloak hoods over their heads for some more protection. Loki glanced at El and saw her nose and cheeks were turning pink as the cold atmosphere was consuming them.

"Thor-" El mutters towards her blonde brother, her hand reaching for his arm but he moves out of her reach just before she can lay her hand on him.

"Let's move." Thor announces, cutting his sister off without realizing it.

Fandral looks at Eldrid and extends his arm and cloak. The sight of El taking shelter in the arms of Fandral made Loki want to combust inside. The only arms El were ever allowed in were his. And seeing El accept Fandral's gesture of good will made his chest ache. He knew she was no longer his, but that had been her choice. So he played the part of her brother and that was it. No matter the fact that his heart broke every time he saw her and the woman she had turned into since he last saw her.

How vibrant Eldrid's blonde hair was, the way her eyes sparkled when she was passionate about something. Her movements and how she conducted herself with poise and grace, such was her goddess titles. She had grown into every inch the woman and goddess he knew she could be. The doubt that ate away at her the night before she left for Alfheim no longer the case. She was confident in herself and sure of her prowess.

Walking through the deserted Jotunheim made Eldrid concerned. Surely the Frost Giants were around somewhere. The Bifrost was a sight to be heard and seen for miles upon miles. The looming sounds from the wind and storms around them only made to frozen realm seem that much more desolate.

And reaching the palace only reminded El of where they were all the more. How tall the pillars and walls were, the grand scale of the ice palace, it was crafted for Giants. Not Asgardians.