Living Alone

Living alone can be important for people in the LGBT community, especially when they have transphobic or homophobic families. But living alone can be a scary and nerve-racking thing! So, if you have Homo/transphobic families, and you have to move out, or, worst case scenario, are kicked out, what do you do?

I can't make living alone any less scary, unfortunately, but making the transition easier is possible!

Firstly, picking a home on budget.

If you're fresh out of Highschool, money may be tight at first, so working up to your dream home is going to need to be done. Trust me, I know the feeling of those dreams: A beautiful house with beautiful scenery and a perfect dream job.

But, unfortunately, life has a way of making it a little... unfair, at times, and in most cases, this type of life isn't achievable so early.

So, instead of something too fancy, something more affordable should be your first goal. An apartment, would be your best option until you start getting higher income.

Try not to go too cheap, as you may get a very bad apartment.

But, too expensive can be bad, too.

Experts say spending around 30% of your income on rent is the golden rule when you're trying to figure out how much you can afford to pay. Spending 30% of your income on rent can help you reach a healthy balance between comfort and affordability.

And who knows, that very apartment might just be the place you permanently call home.

And to style it more you, try making DIY's and planting them all over the house! There are plenty of dollar items that look great!

Second, security.

Security is something a lot of people struggle with. "Will I be safe?" "Will anyone target me?" "Am I being paranoid?"

All those questions are valid. When you live alone, you're vulnerable to robberies and break-ins. Nobody wants to be the victim of that. So, here are a few things to do for protection.

1) Get a weapon. Most places allow purchases and possession of firearms for persons 18 or older. In most places, the minimum age is 18/21, but there are some places where 15 year olds are allowed with adult supervision. If your place of living does not allow you to purchase/possess a firearm, there are other options like pepper spray, pocket knives, and even your own household items. Be sure to use your weapons responsibly.

2) Get a guard dog. You can adopt an adult from a shelter, or buy a puppy, whichever fits best for you. Most apartments allow pets, but be sure to check, just in case. Good breeds are German Shepherds, Pitbulls, Rottweiler, and Doberman. Don't pick a friendly dog breed like a lab, they'll greet intruders with pleasure! If it's more about the bark than the bite for you, ought for a Chihuahua. They'll alert you 10 times over.

3) Get to know people around you. Knowing your neighbours will make things feel more easy, but be careful as to what you lead on, until you are sure 100% you can trust them.

4) Know your surroundings. Never be too naive of where you are.

And if all else fails...

5) Move in with someone else! Be it a partner, a friend, or a relative you trust, living with someone makes you feel safer, AND you always have company!

I hope this chapter helped you all, till next time, this is Max, signing out.