LGBTQ+ Families

|THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS TALK OF ARTIFICIAL IMPREGNATION AND WILL USE WORDS INCLUDING SPERM, UTERUS, ETC. READ WITH CAUTION WHILST UNDER THE WATCHFUL EYES OF STRICT PARENTS|

Okay, let's be real: who all here wishes they had LGBTQ+ parents if they don't already? I am guilty! I often wish I had 2 moms, to be fully honest with you all. (✨Daddy Issues✨) and it wouldn't come as a surprise if you all wished something similar, too! It would make coming out yourself a lot easier.

But what exactly comes along with LGBTQ+ parents? Today, we're going to delve deeper into that, and more. So stay tuned. ❤🧡💛💚💙💜

-

How many LGBTQ families are there, anyway?

It is near impossible to say for sure, but it's estimated that around 29% of LGBTQ+ adults are raising a minor. (<18)

However, this number is no where near exact. Take this with a grain of salt.

How do LGBTQ+ families even have children?

This is a very legitimate question, with easy answers.

For relationships involving a couple who were both AFAB there are many options for both pregnancy and children.

The first option is the most obvious, adoption. This is the most known way for same sex couples to get children. There are many children in need of loving families, so there is never a shortage when it comes to this.

The second option is via surrogacy. This is when the surrogate (for this case, one of the 2 AFAB) is impregnated using a process called intrauterine insemination (IUI). This is where a doctor takes sperm from a sperm donor and transfers it into the uterus of the surrogate. The donor can be someone the couple knows - a family member, friend, etc - or someone completely random looking to help others. After the sperm is placed into the uterus, natural fertilization of the egg takes place. The person who was impregnated this way will now be able to carry the baby as if it were naturally conceived. Not to say this way of pregnancy isn't natural - it is very beautiful in my opinion, imagine the magic of carrying your baby without the trauma of getting intimate with someone you aren't attracted to.

Another option is to foster. Although they aren't yours to love forever, you can cherish and spoil them for a set amount of time before a different family decides to adopt.

Okay, now, for relationships involving a couple who were both AMAB there are similar options for raising children.

Obviously, adoption is also available for a couple who were AMAB. And, another option, surrogacy!

So obviously AMAB wouldn't be able to get pregnant, but that's where people with uterus's come into play.

The surrogate can, once again, be someone the couple knows or be completely anonymous, it's all up to the couple. (We'll be referring to this surrogate as female for this example)

When the couple finds the perfect surrogate, one of the two will donate their sperm to the woman. The woman will then have the sperm planted into her own egg, and fertilization will begin. After some time, pregnancy symptoms will start to show in the woman and that's when she'll *officially* be pregnant. After 9 months are up (take or leave - when the baby is born, hopefully, full term) the surrogate is under contract and will surrender the baby to it's family almost immediately after birth. (In most cases, the baby and the surrogate will not even get skin to skin contact. This is preserved for the parents and should be a special bonding moment. And unless the birth is high risk or goes wrong, the parents will likely be allowed in the delivery room.

And, again, fostering is an option.

What are the differences between LGBTQ parents and straight parents?

Nothing! There is still so, so much more love to go around with LGBTQ parents. Unfortunately, however, children of LGBTQ parents have a higher risk of getting bullied. This can be countered with good parenting advice - educate your children on bullying and what to do, and don't be afraid to get involved. You and your perfect family deserves to be loved just as much as any other family. You are perfect, and nothing about your family should ever be changed.