LGBT Representation

TW: Negative representation is spoke of in this chapter. Please proceed with caution.

It's safe to say the community hasn't got a lot of traction when it comes to representation. Wether it be in TV shows, movies, songs, or books.

First, lets take a look at just why LGBT representation is important.

Proper representation helps combat stereotypes and ignorance. And this isn’t just a theory. A 2015 study found that, when straight people are more exposed to gay characters on TV, they become more accepting of gay equality. On top of that, a 2020 survey by GLAAD and P&G found that queer representation increased queer acceptance by up to 45%. 

The reason this works is simple: seeing queer characters on screen normalizes the existence of queerness. And when these characters have compelling inner lives and relatable struggles, queer existence is recognized more easily. While this certainly isn’t a cure-all for all sexuality and gender-based intolerance, it’s a great start.

It’s also important for queer people to see themselves represented. Seeing proper representation validates their experiences and affirms their existence, so to say, because it lets them know that they are not alone in their struggles. On the flip side, the lack of representation often encourages hostile environments that are very distressing for queer folks. 

Let’s also not forget that queer identities have always existed — including them in works of fiction arguably makes for more realistic and compelling stories too.

Even when there’s representation, we still have to take into account diversity and intersectionality. For instance, does it only highlight well-built, cisgender gay white men, or does it include people of different races, sexualities, gender identities, and sizes? As we devour our favourite shows and books, we should always ask ourselves what experiences are being normalised — and what are being ignored.

Not only are these important reasons for LGBT folks to be represented - it is also important for LGBT representation for children. When kids are exposed to something from a young age, it becomes their normal. If they are constantly being read stories, sung songs, watching TV, or anything else of the sorts, then they have a much, much larger percentage chance to accept the LGBT community.

Now that we understand just why representation is important, lets talk about HOW it is portrayed, and how it should be.

Negative Representation in Media:

Negative representation is, obviously, very bad.

Negative representation happens when queer characters are based on negative stereotypes, or consistently portrayed as bad or evil people. 

Consider Singapore’s local Chinese drama, My Guardian Angels. Creators of the primetime TV show decided to write a gay character as a pedophile who spreads STDs to teenage boys. This archaic and untrue stereotype (that gay men are pedophile with STDs) caused a massive uproar among Singaporeans, and ultimately led the studio to issue an apology for their discriminatory (mis)representation. 

Other bizarre stereotypes exist too, such as the "murderous bisexual" and the "who's the man in the relationship?" and countless dangerous and untrue ones about trans babs.

While stereotypes can sometimes be seen as "hilarious jokes" to people within the community, they cease to be funny and veer into the territory of being severely damaging when it reinforces negative biases. This is especially true if the wider society is already hostile towards queer people — these prejudices create unsafe environments and impact queer folks’ mental and physical well-being.